What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In case of untimely demise, where are your plants going?

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

thez_yo

instigator
When I was way too young to even start thinking about having a will, I was thinking about having one done up just for the sake of my Nepenthes collection (laugh if you need :-))) But I'm not sure I seriously thought through where or to whom my collection would go. I wouldn't want them to just die seeing as how they're CITES classified after all. So... who's thought about it? Where would they go? Or in case you finally get sick enough of taking care of a billionty plants and quit the hobby one day, who do you dump them on/where do you want them to end up?

Ship to the person in the hobby with complete opposite interests as a joke? Send to a big fancy conservatory? Smuggle back to country of origin and stealth-plant in the wild? Send to a small greenhouse to give them a fabulous collection? Have all of them buried with you like an egyptian pharaoh? Am I too morbid thinking about this?

well, I actually put back some endangered pure species seedling in wild with government permission. Either in their original habitats to increase their population, or other designated area as their original habitats are not suitable anymore (for rice production, corn, vegetables, fruits, palm oil, or logging, etc). Plantations are need incredibly large open areas and sterile from wild plants/animals, thus more forest will converted for its as demand increased. Unlike small animals farming (snail, insect, chicken, fish, etc), these plants need considerable open growing spaces.

As for my older & mature collections, I probably will send them conservatory gardens or give them to next generations hobbyist, a passionate and trustworthy one (I'll need to pick them carefully). In fact, in 2010, I received several decade old nepenthes from retired local hobbyist (he passed away in 2012). So I guess I'll do the same when I turn old and unable to care them anymore.

I've been to enough botanical gardens and university collections to know that's where I definitely do not want to send my plants. Lots of scraggly and unmaintained nepenthes. I'd try and spread stuff around to the other growers I know. Maybe I'll have to write you into the will, Thez

Yes, most plants at botanical/conservatory gardens in sad states. It'll my last choices. The thing is not many people have large greenhouse to accommodate larger/older plants, especially highlander. Even lowlander like sumatrana need very high humidity, and I have a old giant one.
I guess I'll try to look harder or "prepare" a successors. Hopefully, one of my kids will turn into passionate hobbyists in future. I will not force them tough.

I’d try to give what I can to BerryBob and then ChefDean(People on another CP forum) and have someone sell the rest and do a few giveaways.

It's funny, but though I am not facing imminent death my family approached me yesterday with this very question. I guess they don't want to be responsible for my many plants and I don't blame them. I have several friends who are also growers that I will trust to collect and divide up the plants among themselves, doing as they wish in the process. It is the sort of thing that can need to happen quickly before plants can fail for lack of care. Even my watering regimen is too complex to expect my family to do well at these days. I expect that for many there are plants that do have value to the world at large due to rarity and it is important that they go to others who understand this. I would hope that the profit for my friends exceeds the headaches of dealing with all of my collection.

I have asked a friend in retail nep sales to help my family sell them for fair deal. My collection has very high value but not unless you know whats what

Probably the garbage sadly. But at least they had a good life.

I'd want most of my plants to be given to "Fresh Hex" a member on this site who I actually met locally and have become friends with. I'd want some of my plants to go to my parents, other friends and anyone in my family who wanted them. Same for my pets. The cats to my parents and/or girlfriend (they could work that out). The turtles, fish and inverts to any of my family/friends who had an interest in them. And the rest to Fresh Hex. He could keep the plants and animals, or if he didn't want them, I'd trust him to rehome them and find them a place to be cared for. I'd do the same for him if he ever needed it.

It's a great question as we never know how many days we have.

Much love to all who read this, stay safe and be as happy as possible.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I have had these thoughts exactly.

I actually wrote up a brief "will" a few months ago just in case of this exact situation.

Honestly if it happens, I would have a family member make a TF post and a few of you would have first dibs on many of the plants. There are a few members here who would be my unexpecting A-team. :stupid:

Back