What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is nepenthes bicalcarata rare ? cant find it ?

• Thread starter Kleon2
  • Start date
Hi so I taken a liking to this nepenthes but I can't seem to find any for sale ? Is it a rare nepenthes in cultivation ?
hi from Los Angeles CA 😎

It seems like most people focus on highlanders these days, so nurseries don't carry many if any lowland species. It's around, but certainly not commonly available.

�� why its a nice plant ..

In the US at least, your common household conditions are much more conducive to growing highlanders than lowlanders. It's part of why there is a greater focus on highland plants. They usually tolerate temperatures in the 60's-70's and humidity around 50% much better. Your best option is to keep a close eye on the vendors specializing in nepenthes and ebay. They do get sold from time to time. They just aren't usually stocked year round like other species would.

Besides the fact that highlanders are generally better suited to windowsill growing, it appears nepenthes species in general are getting much harder to find, almost every online seller is chock full of hybrids while only offering a few species (those available usually being common stuff). As others have mentioned they do surface from time to time, mostly on eBay, but they are not common by any means. Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
When I bought mine it was through a pre-sale. After that the remaining Bicals lasted maybe two days. Act quickly!

I have a few small bicals. Shoot me a message and maybe we can work something out.

It's not hard to get from Europe if you are willing to import.

Thanks for the information guys !!! really appreciate it.

Hey, if you were still looking there happens to be a bical available on ebay for a few more days.

I got mine from carnivorous plant nursery in Maryland. They offer two forms of the plant.

Like others have said as soon as you find one available pull the card out. They don't stay in stock long.

Last edited:
Back