What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just moved with some old Sarrs. too late to repot?

Just moved from the spartanburg area to clemson SC. The plants have been in the same peat moss for atleast 4-5 years and need new peat. The plants will see the same conditions, just wondering if it's too late to repot? The plants have already flowered and are currently growing seed pods. Should I remove the flowers/seed pods to save energy or is it too late for that to be helpful?

trying to upload photos, probably have to wait til i get home. I still have Sarracenia flavas, oreophila, x ladybug, x scarlet belle, and one minor. the ladybug, scarlet belle and minor are struggling and have no fully grown pitchers or any flower buds. The rest are about half their height when they were healthy.

If you don't divide the plants or disturb the root balls very much you should be ok. I wouldn't bother clipping the flowers unless you don't care at all for the seed. Remove the plants from their pots, loosely remove the old medium from around the root ball by hand or with a trowel and repot. After five years there usually isn't much peat moss left to remove anyway.

S. oreophila and S. rubra in my experience the species that will sulk for a year or two from root disturbance while actively growing.

Back