What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thats very interesting. The only two pitchers I have seen from mine have looked very different as far as shape. But they are both lime green with hints of some red that I think will show up in later pitchers. Theres a third on the way that looks a bit more "normal" so I'll see. Thats really bizarre though.. Yours is the only other picture of this plant I've ever seen. I wonder if the cross itself created some sort of genetic instability? I looked it up and came across your thing online. I think thats a very interesting idea. If your still doing that research and mine continues to be odd perhaps I can send it in to you for further evaluation.. Lol. Either way it's just cool to see someone with the same plant. Especially one that's quite a mystery to me. Keep it up Lance!

Nepenthes I'le De France by lance Plater, on Flickr

N. (lowii X veitchii) X campunalata by lance Plater, on Flickr

N. X Aeneas by lance Plater, on Flickr

More lowlanders..

N. merillana X (rafflesiana X thorelii X rafflesiana) by lance Plater, on Flickr

Nepenthes truncata X (thorelii X campunalata) by lance Plater, on Flickr

Nepenthe seed pods by lance Plater, on Flickr

Now highlanders..

Nepenthes Veitchii K by lance Plater, on Flickr

Please excuse the perpetrator that blocked the photo... this one was very hard to reach, but it was worth it.

Nepenthes X "Eldorado" by lance Plater, on Flickr

Didn't know you were that good, Spathulata...

Nepenthes Spathulata female by lance Plater, on Flickr

Some new arrivals. . .

N. Caruncunalata var. Robusta X Hamata. . . can't stop staring at this one O_O.

Not too sure how the teeth will play out in the upper pitchers, but the hamata parent appears to have dominated the color aspect of the peristome.

DSC01170 by lance Plater

N. Veitchii Bario SG

DSC01169 by lance Plater,

Awesome plants, lance! :) That veitchii is going to be awesome when it grows up.

Great thread Lance. Please keep us posted on their development.

Thanks everyone!

Got this little nook in for my B Day, but sadly the pitchers arrived in slight damage and had to be sacrificed for the plant's adaptation survival. However, here is a small and some what oddly placed picture of the most recent pitcher it put out before the Nepenthes arrived in my care.

N. Bicalarata black

912168_494986930566337_1005960539_n by lance Plater

Did that Bario come from a vendor? If so, then it's probably Bareo.. the LL one. The HL Bario is also known as the Candy Stripe form. Which to my knowledge has never been offered by a vendor in the US to date.

It came from Tony and the seed was taken from a green highland female plant, but that's about all that is known about it.

The Kelabit highlands can be spelled either Bareo or Bario. There is no Candy Stripe form. Simon has that superb striped highland N. veitchii which he calls 'candy stripe' and the fake designation has spread from there. It is simply a striped highland N. veitchii, albeit a stunning example.

Thanks for clearing that up Tony! I have heard this term throw around so much lately and to me what people are calling this form looks no different then any other striped veitchii to me as well.

The Kelabit highlands can be spelled either Bareo or Bario. There is no Candy Stripe form. Simon has that superb striped highland N. veitchii which he calls 'candy stripe' and the fake designation has spread from there. It is simply a striped highland N. veitchii, albeit a stunning example.

no kidding? And here all this time I thought I knew what I was talking about..
I've gotta stop believing everything I read.
Basically it just comes down to striped and non-striped forms of Bario/Bareo?

Last edited:
Basically it just comes down to striped and non-striped forms of Bario/Bareo?
Without getting into the details between the highland vs the lowland of which there are a fair number..
That's it in a nutshell!

I think it basically boils down to pitcher color and peristome color and stripes/no stripes. Oh yeah and pitcher shape I suppose since there seems to be some variation there too. I find N. veitchii to be quite the funny plant because age and culture/environmental conditions can radically change the look and colors. Also keep in mind that some photos online are misleading because N. veitchii pitchers can also change drastically in color as they age. You have no way of knowing exactly when the photo was taken. It seems that the majority have peristomes that get darker with age. Some do stay a nice golden color though and if you can get that feature combined with heavy vivid stripes you have the makings for an extra special clone. That particular plant that S has just has it all... nice red squat pitcher, heavy vivid stripes on a gold peristome! The problem is it seems to be quite uncommon to get the stars to align in such fashion with this species..

Thanks for the explaining Tony, I always wondered how the Candy stripes originated from the wild when Simon had that clone way before the seeds were ever mentioned.

And speaking of Veitchii. . .

N. Veitchii K by lance Plater

After seeing this pitcher pop up from beneath the old vine foliage, I knew it would be a difficult task to get a picture of the pitcher once it opened. However, today the pitcher fanned out, and it seems right that a pic should be taken on the Veitchii's 365'th day in the grow chamber.

After a little lifting. . .

N. Veitchii K by lance Plater

I wish I had been able to put a ruler in place as the hood was just about 3.5 inches horizontal. Happy 1 year "anniversary" Veitchii K :p

It is beautiful Lance!

Wow. Where does one find a purple amp?

I'm not sure if any BE clones get this black (as this one is from seed) so your best bet would be to ask nurseries if they have Amps from seed they can take cuttings from. However, the greyish/orangish clone right below that one has 4 basals just 3 inches under the sphagnum, so hopefully the black variant will do the same in the not too far future ;) .

Back