What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Heat and Green Algea

I have 2 questions....

1. I have an old bookshelf I am going to be using as a terrarium stand. I have 2 spot lights mounted about 6 inches above a 10 G tank (1 on left and 1 on right). I put a thermometer in an empty tank on the shelf and it has gotten up to 75 degrees. It is winter here and I am afraid of how hot it will get in the summer, not to mention that I would like to keep my plants in that same spot for the winter -- gets to be about 55-60 in my basement where the shelf is. The bulbs I am using are GE 60W Grow & Show bulbs. I have a few 2 foot GE Grown & Show florecent toobs, but the shelf is only 20 inches across and I am having trouble finding any others that will fit.

Will this setup be a problem? Will the tank get too hot in the summer and not cold enough in the winter? Any advice or "cool" lights I can use?

2. I have a small bowl terrarium (8 inches tall, 7 inches wide, and 5 inches deep). I have 5 VFT in there currently - will be transplanting into 10 G terrarium in a few weeks. I am noticing green "algea" gowing on the covering long-cut moss. At least I think it is algea, all I know is that the light brown moss is turning green.

Anyone know what it is? Why it is happening? Is it a problem? How can I prevent it?

Thank you in advance.

Back