What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Living Together

Yeah, Truncata will eventually produce monster pitchers. I just visited Tony's GH and he has a HUGE Truncata with a pitcher about a foot tall or more. and about 2-3 inches in diameter. It will certainly kep away the pests!
wink.gif

The nepenthes nursury website sais they have plants with pitchers up to 21 inches tall.

The nepenthes nursury website sais they have plants with pitchers up to 21 inches tall. They had a picture of a 15 inch pitcher.

Nice plants N. Gracilis.
Are you sure the largest Ventricosa pitcher is 5" long and 1" wide? All Ventricosa i've seen are usually very tubby, my 2" pitchers get 1" wide easily.
Joe

They can get up to five inches in length once they are matured plants.

Yeah eplants I know.

I didn't mean that 5" is too long to be a Ventricosa.
The point I was making was that N.Gracilis seems to have narrow pitchers. My plant produced a 4" long 2"wide pitchers recently before I cut the top off for a stem cutting. I said that my 2" tall pitchers get 1"wide easily because the width is the same as his pitcher and its less than half the length!!

(Edited by Statik2426 at 12:22 am on May 19, 2002)

I like truncata. Is it hard? Where can i get one to canada from?

Statik, it all depends on where your plant is in producing it's pitchers. Mine is NEAR maturity and has shown much more maturistic features. Pointed peristome,larger pitchers, more seperated nodes,etc. I was at Tony Paroubek's yesturday and he has HUGE Ventricosa, pitchers about 5 inches tall that are about 2 inches wide. Nice plants he has.
Parasuco, Truncata is terribly easy.
smile.gif
Just give it room, cool,warm temps and nice humidity and it'll put on a show for ya.
smile.gif

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 9:28 am on May 19, 2002)

nep g, would truncata be good in a hanging pot? about how big? 10" pot? i have a perfect spot for it on the ficus tree in my back yard,. about 20 feet away from the canal =D. and itll have LOTS of humidty, about 80% or over all the time, its nice
smile.gif
, also do these grow fast? and can they take day degrees up to 90? right now its 100% humid and 75 F outside, it feels like 85 but its cus of the humidity hehe

what temps does it need? i wanna buy one later ;p

N. Truncata would be fine in a LARGE hanging pot. Like about 10 inches diameter and 1-2 feet deep. It would be cool to have it growing in a tree. Too bad I can't! darn NY!
smile.gif
You don't know how lucky you are! I bet your growing N.Bicalcarata outsie now with those conditions!

Stefano,

I have a small (3" or 4" diameter) truncata  in a 8 inch wood basket next to my ventrata and it's doing well so far. I think that I might put it in something larger once I see it produce 12 inch pitchers!
smile.gif

Ng,

I don't think that anyone makes 10" diameter and 2' deep hanging baskets. Think about it, that pot would be more than 2 times deeper than it is wide! :eek: To get an idea of how big something like that would be, put two sheets of paper end to end. That would be almost as long as my arm! For reference, my 14" baskets are only 6" deep, and I think that that's more than enough for truncata. Don't worry too much though Ng, we all tend to exagerate vertical measurements.
smile.gif
You know that merrilliana pitcher that I was raving about on the pics thread? I measured it today with measuring tape and it barely measures 2 inches high! :eek: Doh!
wink.gif

Joel

Nobody seems to understand what I'm saying.. Oh well. NepG the pitcher you have in your hand looks much wider than 1" if it's 5" tall, maybe your ruler is broken. Nice plant no matter what though.
smile.gif

This is what I usually see when I see mature lower picthers on N. Ventricosa.
N._ventricosa_red.JPG

FAT pitchers huh?

Upper pitcher (but of dark peristome variety)
17620_20_t.jpg

I know upper pitchers are usually thinnner, but your plant isn't even that tall so I doubt it has upper pitchers unless its a stem cutting. The waist isn't that constricted on pitchers and the space between the nodes is too close to be vining yet.

BTW, "maturistic" isn't a word.
smile.gif

Joe

(Edited by Statik2426 at 1:13 pm on May 19, 2002)

There it goes again. Really long skinny pitchers, really long skinny pots. Your ruler or measuring device goes crazy on you and like things narrow.
smile.gif

Joel, what i was doing was saying get the deepest pot avaliable. My Truncata is in a 15 incher that is 1 ft deep. And don't worry, I measured it with the world's most accurate ruler.......a tape measure.
wink.gif
But hey ya never know. I don't really care however, just if your palnts are OK good for you. <<<<<<That is the basic rule of thumb.
wink.gif

Back