What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking For Cephalotus Baby or Cuttings!!

I HAD a baby Ceph 'Hummer's Giant' I had been growing from a leaf cutting for almost year. I transplanted it to a new pot so I could offer it in the NASC Auction. And it died. :cry: It was doing SO well.... They do not like to be transplanted.

I HAD a baby Ceph 'Hummer's Giant' I had been growing from a leaf cutting for almost year. I transplanted it to a new pot so I could offer it in the NASC Auction. And it died. :cry: It was doing SO well.... They do not like to be transplanted.

Poor thing. I hear if you're going to transpalnt, you shouldn't take off soil.

I didn't take soil off.

I listed a leaf pull in the NASC auction for anyone interested.

my soil just fell off despite my careful ways.

I think if you're low on experience the last thing you're going to want is a baby or especially a cutting. babies and cuttings can be very finicky. Your best bet would to wait and just buy a more established plant.

I think if you're low on experience the last thing you're going to want is a baby or especially a cutting. babies and cuttings can be very finicky. Your best bet would to wait and just buy a more established plant.

I have a baby, size of a dime, and I have little CP experience.

that's why this plant is considered hard to grow. i had one big baby that i wanted to split. i was not careful so i lost all the soil from the roots. after loosing all the old pitchers all 4 riziom cuts recoverd and they are doing well. for now!

I was looking for a baby because I didn't think anyone would trade me an established plant
But I want one so bad I could die:crazy:

thats why I said to just buy one if you really really want one. Check ebay they're often on there for good prices.

I currantly have 5 adult plants, 3 rooted cuttings and I had a baby. The baby one was doing fantastic for about 6 months throwing out fists left and right then out of no where it died after 6 months of model growing. And it was growing next to the 5 adult plants which grow fantastic for me. I think the baby may have been to weak or something but I currantly don't know why it decided to commit herbicide.

can they be grown outside in socal? i'm currently trying with one but it's too early to tell

I have to agree with Clint on this, I came into Cp's last fall and upon seeing Ceph's was absolutely going crazy to get my hands on one just like EL here sounds like he/she is. I'm glad that I was unable to do so because I realize now looking back that I had no idea what I was doing ( even though I was SURE I did ). This hobby takes time and practice, sure no one is going to stop you from buying one, we're only looking out so that you dont waste your money and/or kill a harder to come by plant. Please if your really not going to get over it then go ahead and get one. I would say that most people wouldnt trade one with you not becuase your grow list is small but becuase it wouldnt appear that right now you have the know how or experience to provide the maximum care that is required for the ceph's.

to SK: you've been around here for a while and were new when I just started as well, I find it rude to say that you'd take clint's criticism as being "degrading" and maybe you didnt mean clint's comments and just meant comments in general... but eitherway I dont think that it was fair. You should know that everyone is just looking out for the growers especially the new growers, like EL. We're not trying to keep him from growing or learning we just want everyone to have the best experience possible.

good luck with your growing.

-Chris

wasnt saying clints comment was degrading, nowhere in there did i single out clint.
in general if someone calls you something for your experiance, be it in a negative manner, its pretty degrading imho.

wasnt saying clints comment was degrading, nowhere in there did i single out clint.
in general if someone calls you something for your experiance, be it in a negative manner, its pretty degrading imho.

I tend to disagree. It's not degrading or offensive in any sense of the word. It's just a comment, and if anyone takes offense at someone calling them inexperienced at anything then that person just needs to get over it. Sure, I can understand why someone might get offended, but it is unfounded and unjustified.

For example, my car isn't working. I go poking around in the engine trying to fix it (with very little experience in cars) and my neighbor says, "Um... I wouldn't do that, you don't have enough experience working on cars." Well, he's right, I don't. I haven't been exposed to cars as long as he has and I'm new to the hobby, so he's right. Seriously, I've been working on cars for ten minutes and he's been rebuilding Lamborghini engines for twenty years. I shouldn't be offended. I should be honored!

So the point is that when someone suggests a certain plant, whatever it may be, to be for more advanced growers, it is in no way suggesting that that person is a total noobie that doesn't deserve to live. There are always exceptions to the rule... always. Just because, as is the case here, a Cephalotus may be suggested to be outside someone's experience level does not mean that person shouldn't try it. One thing we do around here is support people and it would be negligent to educate them on what to expect, what certain outcomes may be, etc. A Cephalotus is not a plant for someone who can't sit still and will be overly overly excited about it and keep messing around with it. It's a plant that should be left alone, and if a person keeps watering it because they like to care for it, it's going to die. Telling someone with less experience anything other than that would be deceptive of me.

So now I will stop the masses from making a mountain out of a molehill...

xvart.

Well put xvart
Everyone ... and trust me, everyone goes through the stage of lust and want when it comes to exotic CP's. Some let their emotions take the better of them and buy. The others work their way up the CP ladder until they are prepared to keep their baby happy :hug:
Everyone makes their own decisions, but it is much more rewarding to see your beautiful, and expensive, plant grow and thrive for years to come.

Back