What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland neps

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I know that books almost always quote 60 to be the lowest temp one should allow their lowlanders to experience. Does anyone have any expeience with lowlanders being alright with night time temps in the low to mid 50s?

Since my electric heater died on me....late in February.....temps can drop to around 48-52F at night, but they jump to around 90-102 in the daytime, which may play a big part in their success.

BTW- I DO NOT reccommend anyone grow their lowlanders this way! lol
smile_m_32.gif

Hi Pyro,
Our N. bicalcarata (a number of different clones), merrilianas, sumatrana, northianas, amps, raffs, echinostomas have all been subjected to low fifties. We had a heater flame out in February and the greenhouse was down to 48. No cold burn. Must admit, however, that these kinds of low temps (50-52 degrees F) are not consistent every night, but may run for two consecutive nights with the following nights being warmer, in the upper fifties. Like Dustin said, not recommended, but tolerated. Also, because they are in a greenhouse, there is no air movement, which helps. Most importantly, the days will see highs ranging from 86 to 95 F., with 80 percent humidity. As long as they get hot, muggy days, they are fairly tolerant of cool nights.

My aquarium heater, one of those old metal tube ones, died a couple of days ago and internal temps dropped to 60F at nights and humidity dropped to 70-75. The bical worried me the most because pitcher lids started to curl and old leaves blackened at the edges easily (it is so spoiled). Everything is fine now since the button/temp setting switch was causing the malfunction and it was fixed in no time.

Not to say that they NEED temps, in the fifties, but they could definitely survive it. 65-75 at night is good though.

Trent, Dustin,

As you may (or may not know) I am in Atlanta. I have grown my lowlanders outside during the summer for the past couple years and I always remember having them out by now. I don't know what it is about this spring but it seems to be taking a loooooooooong time getting here. Nights are always in the 50s, sometimes lows but usually highs. Days are tipping into the 80s now but only just. I am eager to get my lowlanders out side because the raff at home has become a sudden interest of my 20 month old and I can just see disaster about to happen there. All my other lowlanders are here in the lab and the 'Effulgent Koto' is about to break 5' so I'm thinking it might be outgrowing the window...

Hopefully the raff doesn't take an interest in your 20 month old!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ April 21 2005,4:23)]Hopefully the raff doesn't take an interest in your 20 month old!
smile_n_32.gif
Well it is one of the giant clones but right now its largest pitcher is only about 4" so I think she is safe for the time being
smile_n_32.gif

Back