What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican pings forming winter rosettes

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Slowly but surely, the lack of photoperiod and cooler temps of the window sills are leading to sleepy plants and some of them have leaves that look like green corn niblets. If'n those leaves break off from the plant, would they sprout in a few weeks or would they be in a stasis until the photoperiod and temps increase significantly? Or would they just rot?

What the heck? Sleepy plants? Mine grow more leaves, more quickly in winter leaf form then they do all summer. Many only bloom when they are in this leaf form. Why do so many insist on treating the winter leaf form of Mexican Pinguicula as a "dormancy", when it is anything but?

For me, leaf-pullings, whenever done, or with whichever leaf form are used, most always form plantlets, if given proper after-pulling care.

i pulled 20 of those darn things off my esseriana. every single one had plantlet nubbin within a week, sitting in well- soaked vermiculite. misted daily.

the parent plant is just fine, btw. its almost like those leaves arent really part of the plants self-sustaining foliage... more like uber-seeds

wow! only a week
oh.gif

I can't wait till my P. 'Sethos' starts it's winter rosette so I can get even more!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Dec. 21 2006,5:56)]i pulled 20 of those darn things off my esseriana.  every single one had plantlet nubbin within a week, sitting in well- soaked vermiculite.  misted daily.

the parent plant is just fine, btw.  its almost like those leaves arent really part of the plants self-sustaining foliage...  more like uber-seeds
Are the at "room temp" or do you have them in significantly colder conditions?

my tank is pretty much made to be perfect for highland nepenthenes. 75-80 doring the day and down to 60 to 65 at night. ultra-high humidity.

they sit way down at the bottom of the tank, so i dont think light is a huge factor

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Dec. 21 2006,3:30)]wow! only a week
oh.gif

I can't wait till my P. 'Sethos' starts it's winter rosette so I can get even more!
I have my Mexican pings spread out over 4 window sills, two in the room temp kitchen and 2 in the unheated stairway. All are SW facing. Nearly all of the ones in the unheated stairway are displaying winter rosettes. Oddly enough, the P. 'Sethos' has not done so. In slight contrast, only a few in the kitchen have formed winter rosettes. On the stairway, I have a P. moranensis huautla x ehlersiae that is on its 3 flower scape. In the kitchen, there is a P. reticulata on its second scape. I don't know enough about these plants to say rhyme or reason. All I can report are observations.
rock.gif
sad6.gif

Here in California, i have very few Pings that have formed winter rosettes. The few that have are:
P. gypsicola, P. colimenis, P. 'Titan', P. ehlersiae.
Otherwise there is a general slow down in growth on my other Pings.
This week it has been in the mid 70's!! (sorry to make you jealous!)

Peter.:D

California is a long state (about 900 miles). It may be in the mid-70sF in your area, but at my place it has been in the 40sF and most of my Pings have formed winter leaves.

Back