What's new

2021 NASC Benefit Auction!

Review the rules in the 2021 NASC Benefit Auction forum. Listing and bidding for the NASC auction begins in
2021 NASC auction is LIVE! List items and bid now, thanks for your support!

Minimun soil depth.

Aloha,

I'm a newbe here. I did some reading on soil compositions but what about soil depth? I have a small 2.5g tank that's about 7in. high and I would like to put my vft in there. I would like to have some head space so the heat from the pc's don't scorch the plant. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Aloha, ideally 6 or 8 inches of soil depth would be best for your plant which in your case, would not give you the head-room that you want. A container with drain holes setting a tray or saucer will lessen root rot problems. There might be a way to suspend your light 10 or so inches above the plants.

Alan

artmusic247,

I have grown VFT, sundews, and pitcher plants in soil depth of 3 inches without much problems. Most CP do not have a very extensive root system and really does not require a 6-8 inches of soil. I do however believe that the deeper the soil, the better for the plant.

Your 7 inch container is a good start.
smile.gif

Thanks WayCool. I was going to try it with a soil depth of 2-3in. just to see if it'll survive. I'll keep you updated on it's progress. Thanks.