What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More than I'd ever thought I'd learn

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Some days, when I have the time and don't feel like moving, I will read threads on topics that I actually have no interest in and follow the provided links to learn more. It has become a minor addiction for me to learn more about the various hobbies many people indulge in.
So far I have learned about vampire crabs, pythons, reef tanks, toads, scorpions and those weird prehistoric looking things whose name I can't remember.
I now know that I would not put in the time or money for a reef tank, that I don't want toads or snakes or scorpions and that if I were to add critters they would probably be vampire crabs. (but no critters allowed except the cats and my dog).
Well this morning I followed the links and spent my morning coffee time reading the beginners section on a board about tarantulas. I had no idea about the "hair flickers" and the irriatating hairs on these guys. Nor did I even know there were old word T's. Do I want one, no. But at least I now have a much better idea of what's involved in keeping one.

Well said.

I think it's best when people research a critter they're interested in before they ever get as far as buying one. I've read books, websites and forums on all kinds of creatures I will probably never ever own; chameleons, monitors, snakes, turtles, tree frogs, etc. Reading about them is what keeps me from deciding on getting a lot of them as well but that's OK. I think it's far better to find out any potential pitfalls and things you don't wanna have to deal with before you get a critter and then have to try to find it a new home.

That can also go for cats and dogs too, I'm too tired and busy with my own activities to deal with a dog. Much as I like playing with my aunts two sled dogs, and I enjoyed my childhood dogs growing up I'm glad I don't have one to deal with now all the time. Cats on the other hand only want attention a few minutes or rarely a few hours out of the day and rest of the time they have their own agendas to attend to leaving me free to do other stuff.

I think you shoould only get a living thing if you know how to care for it and have a strong want for it. Chibae, there is always a lot to learn with a forum that provides a lot :D .

I think I've been misunderstood, i am growing fascinated with READING about other folks hobbies and how to care for the crtiiers I see mentioned here. I DON'T want any of them, ot any other living critter to care for except my dog, 2 cats and my plants.

Back