What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mushrooms grew in pimpkin patch...

joossa

Aklys
I went to check my pumpkins and squash this morning and found that a couple of mushrooms were sprouting at the base a two plants. They were immediately adjacent to the young plants (pumpkin and squash).

Does anyone know what these are? Is it likely that they are feeding off the plants? Are they harmful to the plants? Does the soil have anything to do with them sprouting? I am using tons of rich compost, aged manure, and fertilizer. Overall the two plants the mushrooms were adjacent to look very healthy and show no sign of stress or damage.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

P5290008.jpg

Look like inky caps.....they should melt into a puddle of black slime a few hours after being picked if they are.

Does the soil have anything to do with them sprouting? I am using tons of rich compost, aged manure, and fertilizer.
They're probably just a result of mycelium hitchhiking in the manure or compost.

I'm no expert but mushrooms eat decaying matter and aren't usually a threat to plants. I even have some growing in my nep pots at the moment.

Generally mushrooms aren't going to hurt your plants, they will die off after whatever they are feeding on runs out of nutrients. I often get them a short while after setting up new vivariums but they never last very long, a few days at most and the mushroom crops come and go but once they go for good I've never had them come back.

Looks like Coprinopsis atramentaria/I] - an inky cap.

They quickly melt into black goo.

I'm almost certain they feed on the decaying manure - they are harmless to the plants.

Thanks for the info guys! Truly appreciated! :)

Back