What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 1st plants

These are my 1st pitcher plants.

2011-07-14124428.jpg

2011-07-14124437.jpg

2011-07-14124509.jpg

Does it make sense to get a hygometer? I am going to get some potting supplies this weekend. I figured id let the plants get used to my location before I stress em out to much (unless this is not neccessary of beneficial). One question I have is the N. sanguinea seems to be drooping quite a bit, I read a post on here about letting them lean and this would stimulate new growth. Would it be smart to leave the plant in this position to encourage the formation of new growths or should I stake the plant?

Can't wait to get into these guys. They are quite imcredible.

Very nice start!

Drooping the plant like that will stimulate basal growth much faster and sooner especially with the vigorous species. It's like orchids putting out a new bulb, except for nepenthes, the new shoot comes from the stem a few cm below the surface of the media!

Oh and I do think you might need to repot your plants in time's due. Looks like the nepenthes will overgrow it's pot in a short while ;) but it's not a neccessity.

Great plants though, keep it up!!

That media looks pretty dense to me. If they were my plants, I would repot them into a more loose mix (1:1:1 Long Fibered sphagnum : orchid bark : perlite) and put a bag over 'em to acclimate them. I feel like its always good policy to check the root system on any new plants (also to check thoroughly for bugs and the like. I found a mealy bug on a plant I just got in from a nursery!).

They look great and really healthy though, you're definitely off to a good start!

-CJ

Eh, stay away from a bag on those guys for now. They don't look nearly droopy enough to merit bagging them. They'll be fine. Just let them settle in for a couple months before you do anything drastic like repotting.

My original thoughts were to let them be for a while till they became used to my surroundings but then one of the members here had exprecienced some root rot from the same company I purchased my plants from. Since I dont know much about my plants from lack of experience, I wanted to go slowly but hopefully repotting them was the right thing to do. They did seem very tightly packed in lfs and my N. maxima was in what appeared to be top soil. I used a mix of orchid bark (left over from my orchids) and some lfs. Its much looser now and I put them in larger pots.

Back