What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My brother poured glue all over my plants

• Thread starter Wolfn
  • Start date
That is sad that he is 20. Sounds like something a 4 year old would do and not a 20 year old.

It is natural for brothers to fight during childhood, at least I think it is. That is what me and my two brothers did. But at 20 you would think he would have started to show some maturity. Hopefully when and if he grows up, you guys will have a good relationship.

In the meantime. I would suggest perhaps buying a lock for your door, with your parents permission of course. Perhaps offer to give them a key to seal the deal. Just to keep your brother out and give you a safe place to get away from him.

Good luck.

Well, the plants that were affected were the ones in my mini-greenhouse on the Patio, not the indoor ones.

Might be a bit late now, but I would uproot the plants and soak them in a big bucket of warm water..
elmers glue dissolves in water, before it sets..

although its not toxic..(I think its mostly organic?)
(scot goes to google)

Elmer's Glue is made of all natural things, such as petroleum and natural gas. The exact materials of Elmer's Glue is not known to the public because it is a private formula.

Elmer's Glues are chemical based. They are made or formulated from chemicals which are synthesized (created by Man). These chemicals were originally obtained or manufactured from petroleum, natural gas and other raw materials found in Nature. The exact formula and specific ingredients used in making Elmer's products are considered proprietary information, therefore, we cannot share those with you.

No, Elmer's does not use animals or animal parts to make glue. Our products are made from synthetic materials and are not derived from processing horses, cows or any other animals.

well..it could be worse! he could have dumped super-glue on them..
they will probably recover..

I would re-pot though, if a lot of glue is on/in the soil.

sounds to me like its time for a 20 year old to be kicked out of the house..
so the only life he ruins is his own..(although they never ruin only their own lives do they?..soon there would be a girlfriend probably..then kids..lots of potential lives to mess up..maybe its better he stays with mom and dad afterall!)

Scot

A suggestion with Elmer you can soak it in warm water for a few hours and it will soften and dissolve, though you may need to use a q-tip to remove some of it. This is what we do when we reconstruct a ceramic vessel wrong and need to take it apart. The plants eating some of it doesn't surprise me as its protein based and it is probably susceptible to the enzymes produced by the plants.

Well, the plants that were affected were the ones in my mini-greenhouse on the Patio, not the indoor ones.

D'OH!

Ever consider hired goons to glue some stuff of his. Just kidding!

Glue?!? of all the nasty stupid things one can do to another's stuff, I admit I haven't heard of that.

<s>Scotty, wherever on Earth did you get the info about Elmer's being made of petroleum products? No plant would be drooling over some distilled tar. It's most likely made from animal by-products, the bits of beef and burger we don't eat.</s> Lemme go see that!

Well, goooo figure! This NEEDS to be tested. Do dews really LIKE this stuff?

I'll add Elmer's to my list of non-bugs to feed the plants. I already know they like Boca burgers, nuts, beans and avocados!

I don't think Drosera move to preferred things that happen to cross their path. I'm positive the dew glands were just reacting to a substance that came in contact with the leaves and/or as it slowly ran (moved) down.

xvart.

They react to stuff they like. I put coffee grounds on a leaf, and got no reaction at all. Same with a leaf. But they moved for a walnut, but only after I took the thin membrane off it.

Still, it it's worth the fun to study it later when more 'dews wake up. Also some VFT's. It's gonna be fun.

<s>Scotty, wherever on Earth did you get the info about Elmer's being made of petroleum products? No plant would be drooling over some distilled tar. It's most likely made from animal by-products, the bits of beef and burger we don't eat.</s> Lemme go see that!

I'll add Elmer's to my list of non-bugs to feed the plants. I already know they like Boca burgers, nuts, beans and avocados!

Sorry..I should have provided my source links..
as you probably discovered, the reference to Elmers glue being made from petrolium products, and not animal products, comes directly from the Elmers glue company itself:

Elmer's Glues are chemical based. They are made or formulated from chemicals which are synthesized (created by Man). These chemicals were originally obtained or manufactured from petroleum, natural gas and other raw materials found in Nature. The exact formula and specific ingredients used in making Elmer's products are considered proprietary information, therefore, we cannot share those with you.

No, Elmer's does not use animals or animal parts to make glue. Our products are made from synthetic materials and are not derived from processing horses, cows or any other animals.

source: http://www.elmers.com/about/faq/

Scot

I was told, by one old enough to know, that the glue *used* to made of hooves and the like, but the company changed because of animal rights complaints and because of allergies cropping up. They are indeed using petroleum.

This I gotta test!

Okay, I'm not sure what it is now. All I see is that it's thick and white, but doesn't have much smell. Maybe tacky glue or something?

Okay, I'm not sure what it is now. All I see is that it's thick and white, but doesn't have much smell. Maybe tacky glue or something?

you sure it's glue?

It hasn't dried yet?

Oh, right, for some reason I thought your plants were inside...Now I see why it would still be wet, then.

Back