What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My brother poured glue all over my plants

• Thread starter Wolfn
  • Start date
eek2.gif

White acrylic paint? That may stay wet for a little while if the humidity is up.

Hope it does come off, eventually.

White acrylic paint? That may stay wet for a little while if the humidity is up.

Hope it does come off, eventually.

I don't think it's paint because it's kind of waxy. I have a feeling it might be hair wax, which I have in my bathroom.

Wow a 20 yr old! I was thinking 4-5 (then it would be heart breaking, but "acceptable"). I think you just have to give him a good beating and have him pay you back for the plants! At 20 doing those sort of things he's going to end up in jail....

Wolf, that truly is sad that your brother is so infantile at age 20. He must enjoy making enemies. I'm sure you'll do your best to get your plants through this. I don't beleive in unconditional love. Your brother should be punished for his actions; quietly and effectively.

Well, my parents didn't believe me when I said my brother did it. They just said "why would he pour glue on your plants"

To tell the truth, I don't have exact proof that he did this. Only the fact that he was the only one home and he lied when he said the dogs drooled on my plants

What'd he feed the dogs first?

To tell the truth, I don't have exact proof that he did this. Only the fact that he was the only one home and he lied when he said the dogs drooled on my plants

I thought you grew your plants on a stand in a tank so your dogs couldn't get to it... now if your brother lied about it and was the only one home who could have done it, doesn't that make him suspect #1? See what sort of stuff could have made the mess on your plants, while you're at it. Look for anything that's a similar substance so you can find a way to clean it up.

What'd he feed the dogs first?

It's not dog drool. My brother says it is, but I know it's not.

I thought you grew your plants on a stand in a tank so your dogs couldn't get to it... now if your brother lied about it and was the only one home who could have done it, doesn't that make him suspect #1? See what sort of stuff could have made the mess on your plants, while you're at it. Look for anything that's a similar substance so you can find a way to clean it up.

They are in a tank on a stand so my dogs have no way to get to it. The makes my brother the #1 suspect, even though he says he didn't and my parents won't do anything about it.

Here's some pictures of some of the damage. I apologize over the quality of the picture.

Glue1.jpg

glue2.jpg

Almost reminds me of leftover milk shake after it dries a bit.

FWIW... Eeeeeeewwwwwwwww!

What a real turd, and double for the g'rups that won't do anything about it.

Update on the situation. I lost the following plants from the glue catastrophe:
1) Nepenthes Singalana
2) Nepenthes khasiana
3) Nepenthes Ventricosa (I believe the combination of glue and cold was the cause of death)
4) Drosera Graminifolia
5) Drosera Adelae
6) A Drosera Aliciae and Spatulata
7) Pinguicula Primuiflora
8) Pinguicula Esseriana
9) Pinguicula Pirouette
10) Pinguicula Agnata (El Lobo)
11) A small patch of Utricularia Livida
12) A couple pygmy sundews

My Dionea Muscipula (Low Giant) is on life support right now and lost several leaves because of the glue.

Did he ever paid you for this? Gesh that's a big loss because all the time and care spent. How do you put a price on that? Hopefully little by little you can get the plants you lost.

I just caught this post, as someone updated it recently.
Not sure why.....
If it was Elmers glue, you are actually very fortunate.
I forget now the composition of Elmers and similar glues,
but they are the least noxious glue around. Thats why they sell it for kids to use.
It is very water soluble and even once dried, can be soaked and washed off.

I would have either removed the glue as best as I could,
and put all my plants in a big tub of water for a day or 2, (along with a spray shower)
or hosed them really good to wash the glue thru.
I didn't read the entire thread, but if the glue dried, it would take soaking for a good while.

You could have also cut the damaged leaves off of a plant, and it would simply put out new ones.
Worst case scenario, re-potting everything and washing everything.
But again, Elmers type glue is the easiest to deal with, (some would have actually killed the plants outright with no hope of survival)
and while a bother and a pain, shouldn't have caused any of the plants to actually die.
(But then, I know this because I have dealt with worse in the past.)

I did notice something about blaming the dog (yea, the dog is the one who farted! right!)
and I would have taken the suspected glue/drool and set a PPtowel if it aside to dry and compare it to real glue/drool. It does seem even that wouldn't help your parents to side with you.
Well, it looks like someone either needs to get rid of both their dog and their brother, but I would try removing one at a time....perhaps the brother first!?

Good luck and try not to worry. If you have washed away the glue/drool, the plants should recover fine.
And even if you haven't, again, elmers isn't toxic at all, however I can't attest to that for your dog's drool! :-))
:water:
Take care
PS: If your brother did this, forgive him! He is just jealous of you, which is a compliment to you actually. Perhaps get him a plant of his own! Or just kick his butt!

Correction/addition: I Just read the comment on hair wax? What's that all about? I can't attest to the qualities of "wax", but stop using that crap! (Kidding)

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Okay, didn't have the time, but read the entire thread.
Seems your folks are afraid to do anything to your brother, as they already are at wits end with what to do with him and his condition.
I would just say try to salvage what you can, and put a lock on your things if you can.
Your situation won't improve until you move out I am afraid.

Good luck

Did he ever paid you for this? Gesh that's a big loss because all the time and care spent. How do you put a price on that? Hopefully little by little you can get the plants you lost.

He didn't pay at all.

I'm not planning on getting him any birthday or Christmas presents for awhile.

Not getting a birthday present for him is one thing... Revenge is another. Guess which path I'd take? :-D

Sorry about your plants though, that sucks losing so many. If you ever find proof that he did it, and he still doesn't pay for your plants, I think his car needs a visit from "the magic glue bottle".

Back