What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My outdoor Tucson, Az Sarracenia

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Well, with my unexcpected success with Nepenthes in my living area ( here and here ) I've decided to see how 5 Sarracenia will do outside in the deserts of Tucson, Az. I've chosen a 20" across 12" tall pot. I was going to mix up the media a little bit for this big pot but decided to stick with 50/50 peat perlite. Right now sun hits the area about 7am to 2pm and current temps are 60f-78f days and 40f-58f nights and typical "low" humidity (20-40%) unless some clouds/rain comes in.
Anyone know if javelina, ground squirrels or bunnies will be an issue with eating them?
I'm excited to share whatever experience I have on this with you!

20230317_140300.jpg

My problems are more with stray cats, but I think that’s a neighborhood specific problem.

My problems are more with stray cats, but I think that’s a neighborhood specific problem.
i have same issue here in northern indiana , i love cats but when let outdoors cause so much darn damage and destruction it really isnt funny .

Well, with my unexcpected success with Nepenthes in my living area ( here and here ) I've decided to see how 5 Sarracenia will do outside in the deserts of Tucson, Az. I've chosen a 20" across 12" tall pot. I was going to mix up the media a little bit for this big pot but decided to stick with 50/50 peat perlite. Right now sun hits the area about 7am to 2pm and current temps are 60f-78f days and 40f-58f nights and typical "low" humidity (20-40%) unless some clouds/rain comes in.
Anyone know if javelina, ground squirrels or bunnies will be an issue with eating them?
I'm excited to share whatever experience I have on this with you!

View attachment 11748
Looks well at the moment, the heat of the summer will tell I guess, but it should be good.
I know nothing of the actions of bunnies or squirrels on plant attacks, other than to say over here in the UK the squirrels don't bother with them and there isn't a rabbit for miles.
Is the plant to the left if the AF purp also antho free?
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Full disclosure: I have zero experience growing anything in AZ. That said, might some shade cloth be a good idea in another month or two? I'd also consider some kind of light, non-wicking mulch on top of the potting mix. The sun in the Sarr homeland can be equally intense but the combination of that, higher temperatures, and lower humidity seems pretty daunting.

I've heard of someone that used to live here that grew Sarrs under shade cloth, I never met him or saw his setup and now he has died. For the sake of these by my front door, I don't want anything silly looking like shade cloth and my goal is to just see how they do as is. I have kinda considered some type of mulch, but it seems the ones I glanced at are like rubberized and of those I've experienced "in the wild" they sure seemed to get awfully hot. I do have the benefit of this being on my east side which means my house will shade it for the hotter part of the day. I'm more worried about the VFT and Drosera I will be putting out there next. I potted those all up tonight but will wait a few days to put them out so they can kinda recover from being transplanted.

They do grow very hot in the wild, but there is a huge, generally wet, thermal mass underneath them to moderate the heat to the roots and rhizome somewhat. If you can keep a reasonable water level in the pot that will definitely help, together with the shade. I am interested to see how it goes.
Cheers
Steve

I drilled no holes on the bottom of the pot, but 2 on the side. One about 1" up from the bottom and one about half way up the pot. Rubber stoppers will be used to adjust the water level between these. I'll also use the system to drain and flush through the pot to help allow oxygen to get deep and prevent or at least delay stagnant situation that would lead to anaerobic processes. A scotch brite pad has been installed along the wall where the holes are to help prevent the media from coming out. Fred P has been providing his knowledge and support for my test :)
20230317_120837.jpg

I like the Scotch Brite pad idea. I grow flytraps in the same way, also in a plastic barrel half. The soil level will probably sink somewhat with time and that can help raise the humidity at the soil surface.

Where in 15 gallon tree pots, I use exactly the same sort of system, but without the scotch guard pad, which is a good idea. I only remove the low bung in winter.
Cheers
Steve

Looks like the first javelina test has happened. From my inspection they all just bit one flower bud in half. I was expecting some damage to the purpure with how many had their face in the pot.
20230326_104845.jpg

20230326_102630.jpg
Far right side of video:

'Cool video. We have to deal with raccoons and squirrels up here but wild pigs would certainly make you wonder about damage. 'Glad it was minimal. I wonder if pitchers full of insects would make them appealing?

This raises the question of how exactly do sarr flower buds taste. They could be on to something

Hopefully full or fresh pitchers are of equal (non) interest.
Flower buds must be bad then since they spit it out into the pot. 😆

edit Shoot I posted that to the wrong thread. My posts and responses have been moved. :ninja:

Last edited:
Couple of new pitchers!
20230506_164939.jpg

This one had a rough start to the year. It sat in a tray of water for like 3 weeks waiting to be shipped, then shipped and potted. Then u potted and used for this. It needs some settle time. 😆
20230507_141840.jpg

And this one is doing great!
20230507_141600.jpg

The purp new growthnis small, but looks good. And the first pitcher in the last post is still hanging in there.

This is all very encouraging. I grow in those plastic 'barrel halves' as well. They seem almost custom-made for bog plantings.

It's been a few weeks - how are your plants looking?

Indeed it's update time! I had 2 situations with a bunny. First day it dug in the media and ate on the purp (see dirt pile upper left)
20230522_065348.jpg
The next day it broke off the new (and only) growing pitcher of S. Crimson queen.
Screenshot_20230528_103237_Gallery.jpg
20230522_183057.jpg
So I filled another pot with sand and stacked it, no further issue so far.
20230522_183943.jpg
Here is how everything looks today!
20230528_094035.jpg20230528_094040.jpg20230528_094100.jpg

Back