What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. thorelii x truncata variability

I have three N. thorelii x truncata and they are all quite different.

N. thorelli x truncata #1 (Green)
Nthoreliixtruncata26Jul09.jpg

N. thorelli x truncata #2 (Red)
NthoreliixtruncataREDII26Jul09.jpg

NthoreliixtruncataREDIII26Jul09.jpg

NthoreliixtruncataRED26Jul09.jpg

N x Red Dragon (N. thorelli x truncata)
NRedDragon26Jul09.jpg

NRedDragonOpening26Jul09.jpg

NRedDragonOpeningII26Jul09.jpg

What do yours look like?

Nice. Although I don't have this plant, it's interesting to see variability. Are they different clones or seed grown?

i grow the clone from Sarracenia Northwest which is red, and similar to your #2, but i believe they are different clones

Unfortunately, I do not know what clone my plants are. The first one is from Sam at Leilani hapu, the second one is from a friend in Pennsylvania, and the Red Dragon is from the NASC auction this spring. This is one of the things that has me hooked about this hobby, you never know what will pop up next.

Keith

I have a N. thorelli x truncata that is like your #2 only a much darker red. Wonder how many different clones there are? Anyway, very nicely grown plants.
I also have a "Marbled Dragon" (N. maxima dark x truncata) that produces the largest pitchers in my collection; very nice plant with the coloring of maxima and the peristome and size of truncata.
I used to be a species snob but now I'm hooked on hybrids. I especially like there ease of growing as many adapt to a large range of growing conditions. Very nice looking plants.

I have a N. thorelli x truncata that is like your #2 only a much darker red. Wonder how many different clones there are? Anyway, very nicely grown plants.
I also have a "Marbled Dragon" (N. maxima dark x truncata) that produces the largest pitchers in my collection; very nice plant with the coloring of maxima and the peristome and size of truncata.
I used to be a species snob but now I'm hooked on hybrids. I especially like there ease of growing as many adapt to a large range of growing conditions. Very nice looking plants.

Thank you for your kind words. A comment that was made on one of the other forums is that a lot of the variety is due to the fact that the real N. thorelli is not in cultivation so the "N. thorelli" x truncata crosses are probably crosses of at least three different plants with N. truncata. It was suggested that my N. x Red Dragon (N. thorelli x truncata) is likely (N. bokorensis x truncata) based on the striped peristome, vaulted lid and shape of the leaves.

I have been keeping my eyes open for a N. x Marbled Dragon, the pictures I have seen are beautiful. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Regards,

Keith

I do not have any way of taking pictures at this time. Been meaning to purchase a digital camera but keep putting it off. I got my "Marbled Dragon" as a free gift with an order from "Sunbelle" three years ago. I do not believe they are selling anymore.

Back