What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes attenboroughii

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi GUys,

Its my pleasure to quote this from the pitcher plants board:

Hey all,

Not sure if this has been posted already, but if you're not yet aware of it, the new species discovered in Palawan by Volker, Stew and I has been formally published in the Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society as of two or three days ago.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122221934/abstract

We're very pleased to have this species formally recognised, and hope that those of you who are able to access the paper enjoy it.

We elected to name the species after Sir David Attenborough, an inspiration to many of us in biology; we hope that the choice meets with your approval.

Greetings from darkest Africa,

Alastair.
Truly a masterpiece from the genus. In my opinion it represents the magnificence of the famous N.rajah along with the uniqueness of N.jamban. I personally have access to the journal and was able to glance through the description. It seems unfortunately this species is critically endangered and present as less than a few hundred individuals in just one location.

We can only hope in the future that this species can be introduced into cultivation through mass production in the form of multiple clones and made available to all.

202.jpg

OMG that is GORGEOUS! i love it :) and i love that its named after David Attenborough!

So, it's finally named, huh? I think that's a great name for it.

Varun,

Thanks for sharing that. It is a very nice species. I would like to see some more pictures to see the variations of the species.

xvart.

That is a great plant. It's very Lowiish. Yet its got the Macfarlanei peristome thing going on below the lid. I like the ruggid coloration.

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing with us all.

Cool! Sure is a real beauty! I think it looks like a chalice or kings goblet.

I remember Volker telling me about this plant long ago when I bought some Ifugo headhunter Swords from him (no kiddin') they actually made it through customs with bones and everything still attached! :D

I remember Volker telling me about this plant long ago when I bought some Ifugo headhunter Swords from him (no kiddin') they actually made it through customs with bones and everything still attached! :D
:pics:

Wow, that's so amazing. I love David Attenborough. Those pitchers are freakin huge.

Well... the location is known... that's pretty bad for it's conservation in-habitat as collectors will zero in on the mountain.

Back