What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes "Black Knight"

Does anyone have any idea if this gets to actually be back or dark purple. I'm not sure if I should get this or Nepenthes ramispina.

Last edited by a moderator:
more of a reddish color..

IMAG0006-1.jpg

IMAG0005-1.jpg

With a flash..

IMAG0004-1.jpg

Yeah that is a nice plant but Im trying to get black so maybe the Nepenthes ramispina would be better. What are your lighting conditions? I'm growing under 4 40 watt cool daylight bulbs.

Back when those pics were taken.. they were under the same thing.

Have you changed it since then? If so have they got darker?

I actually traded him for it recently, and just got it on Saturday. It currently does not have any pitchers, and the leaves are a darker green. I will be growing it outdoors, however, and exposing it to about 2 hours of full sun in the morning, and 3-4 hours in the evening. It'll really be a few weeks before it gets to the point that I can tell what the pitchers are going to look like in these conditions.

Since then I changed the conditions all together. Over the winter it got light from an 8 bulb T5HO unit and GH conditions of 78* days and 60* nights with 85%+ constant humidity. A bit cooler than in the summer of last year when the pics were took. It stopped pitchering over the winter, but grew like a CHAMP!! What would you say soopa, almost 14" tall with 4 or 5 basals?
This is at the end of the summer when I got it. It wasn't even a full year of growth..

100_4154.jpg

100_4150.jpg

100_4151.jpg

100_4155.jpg

Mass, it's currently ~18" with 3 basals right now. So yeah, pretty big plant.

I have Nepenthes ramispina and mine is more of a reddish brown. I haven't had it very long though so can't comment on how dark the pitchers actually get.

If you are looking for black pitchers, you might try looking at Nepenthes izumiae x ramispina or Nepenthes izumiae. From the pics I have seen and various posts I have read over the years, it appears that they produce the blackest pitchers that I am aware of. I think there are a few different forms of izumeae out there with varying degrees of darkness though. The Nepenthes izumiae x ramispina clone from EP appears to be rather dark.

From cpphotofinder.com... Images may be copyrighted, linked under fair use.
Nepenthes izumiae x ramispina (EP Photo)
big_izuxram.jpg

Nepenthes izumiae (dark clone)
darkizumiae.jpg

When I had nepenthes ramipsina, my particulars plant's pitchers were more of dark charcoal grey. There is apparently some variation in how dark they get. I would second Nepenthes izumiae if you want truly black pitchers.

N. Black Knight is a nice plant / At least I like mine
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/578327403XFtxUm
&
I can say they don't have as much color {at least in my experience} when grown indoors compared to outdoors in sun light
Mine lost a lot of its color when I brought it indoors over the winter
Mainly on the leaves / They turned more of a green color than their usual maroon color
But I agree that N. Black Knight doesn't make true black pitchers

"I" would have to say that N. Ramispina is the only Nep "I've" seen pics of with what I would call Black pitchers

Now I'm going to have to check out / look for a N. Izumiae (dark clone)
Thanx to dashman / LOL

Sorry. The quality of that pic isn't very good but it was the best I could find. I recall a better pic on another forum somewhere of an N. izumiae in situ with literally black peristome and outer pitcher walls.

Back