What's new

Nepenthes the GREAT picture thread!

N. Burkei
b04087b97423d5b8c323ac0b401a6aab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

amphirion

i dont do pots.
Well, you know that someone is going to ask which species these are. It might as well be me. ;)

I agree. Very pretty though. What is the red flower? I first thought Rhododendron by the looks of the leaves, but the flower does not match what I see blooming here in NJ.

Thanks! Jerry, you are right! It is a rhododendron, but a tropical one known as a vireya rhododendron. Many species are found sympathetic with nepenthes which inspired me. This one is a hybrid though, st. Valentine

Thanks! Jerry, you are right! It is a rhododendron, but a tropical one known as a vireya rhododendron. Many species are found sympathetic with nepenthes which inspired me. This one is a hybrid though, st. Valentine

I just read a little bit about the Vireya Rhododendrons. Long history in cultivation, but pretty fragile in cold climates, and the interruptions of wars. https://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/vireya-rhododendrons-return/

Now I am wondering if I may have seen some of these tropical species being sold as houseplants. I really never knew about the tropical plants. Just cold tolerant US, Chinese, Korean species. I ignored them.