What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Ventricosa Good for Beginner?

Hello! I was wondering if N. Ventricosa is good for a beginner Nepenthes-grower? I have been successful with VFTs, Sundews, and Terrestrial Bladderworts, so I'm not new to carnivorous plants, but I would like to expand my collection. Also I am planning on keeping it indoors, as I live in Zone 7, so is there anything I would need to set up for it?

Thanks so much guys (and gals!)

Ventricosa is just fine as a beginner nepenthes species. The only thing that you may need to set up is supplemental lighting if your windows receive less than 3-4 hours of direct light a day. Nepenthes in general are more adaptable than a lot of beginners may think. You should be just fine with any nepenthes that grows in the intermediate elevation range like ventricosa does.

I agree with Grey Moss! N. ventricosa and many others will likely adapt just fine with possibly the assistance of some extra light. I take it by your post that your other CPs are kept outside then? If they are kept in the window and they grow fine in the window, then the Nepenthes could possibly be fine without extra light as well.

I grow my sundews on the windowsill, as well as the bladderwort. I also have some grow lights already, so I'll go ahead and get the ventricosa and see how it goes! Thanks so much!

Nice! I love it when I have what I need to try something out. :-O

Ventricosa is definitely a great starter nepenthes. You might be able to grow it outdoors part of the year, depending on how much light will be available outside.

Back