What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps poisonous?

Hi all!
Got a bit of a question... Are Nepenthes plants poisonous?
My dog kinda chewed a few of the leaves when I didnt look
mad.gif
, and im in kind of a panic here.
I got quite a lot of leaf tissue out of his mouth before he swallowed any, but still!
Anyone knows if I should be worried about the dog, or kill him for eating my Nep???
rock.gif

Not that I'm aware of. My brother's dog ate an alata pitcher of mine (grrrr), and is fine. I've never heard of them being toxic, and in fact I think some people use the pitchers to cook stuff in. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Capslock

*Phew!*

Thanks a lot Caps! Now all I have to worry about is me poor plant
biggrin.gif

This info will surely help me in the future, as the little wife wouldnt let me get anymore Neps before she knew if theyre poisonous... See, I've got a daughter who's 2 months old, and eventually she'll start putting everything in her mouth, kinda like the dog already does *sigh*
My poor little plants has a rough time to look forward to
rock.gif

Thanks! /Quensel

Yes, Pitcher Plants of Borneo (by A. Phillips) has a section on folklore and remedies using Nepenthes, incuding cooking rice in them. Didn't Fatboy tell us that he had eaten some Nepenthes meals on his travels? (Troy where art thou?)

You will want to be sure your child doesn't drink any of the pitcher fluid from hanging pitchers if she has any food allergies. The fluid is not poisonous (and is actually sterile before the pitchers open) but the trapped insects which may be in any fluid that gets drank can trigger alergic reactions in people who have certain food allergies.

I just read yesterday about a guy who (intentionally) cooked up and ate 3 dozen Cicaidas and had to be rushed to the hospital because the Cicaidas were similar to another food he happened to be allergic to, possibly nuts or peanuts.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ May 19 2004,8:27)]Yes, Pitcher Plants of Borneo (by A. Phillips) has a section on folklore and remedies using Nepenthes, incuding cooking rice in them. Didn't Fatboy tell us that he had eaten some Nepenthes meals on his travels? (Troy where art thou?)

You will want to be sure your child doesn't drink any of the pitcher fluid from hanging pitchers if she has any food allergies. The fluid is not poisonous (and is actually sterile before the pitchers open) but the trapped insects which may be in any fluid that gets drank can trigger alergic reactions in people who have certain food allergies.

I just read yesterday about a guy who (intentionally) cooked up and ate 3 dozen Cicaidas and had to be rushed to the hospital because the Cicaidas were similar to another food he happened to be allergic to, possibly nuts or peanuts.
tounge.gif
Drinking nep fluid?
rock.gif
Eating cicaidas?
rock.gif
Now that's just nasty...but I'm sure dogs and babies (the curious kind) won't mind finding that out themselves though...
wink.gif

I thought Ch'ien Lee had told me once that the plants themselves were a little toxic and were not good for dogs to eat-our beagle snatched a small fusca out of a pot once, lol.

Joe

Swords, it was shellfish that the guy was allergic to. Aparently the shellfish allergy is similar to ciccaida's
I think I had heard something about them possibly having mild paralytic's in the fluid. I may be thinking of something else though.

Joe

Our dogs have a favorite snack. Dried N. rafflesiana and N. bicalcarata pitchers. I had some I was saving to give to my mom's class for show and tell. However, the dogs found them to be an excellent dog treat.

Back