What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW Byblis hybrid

Hello Friends,

At last, after repeated failures which I now relate to our extremely high Florida humidity, I've finally managed to create a successful hybrid cross between Byblis 'Goliath' and Byblis rorida. By removing the anthers from the flower and bringing them indoors where humidity was much lower (below 50% RH) it seemed to increase pollen viability. The anthers where then split with a sterile scalpel and applied with fine tweezers to the receptive stigmas. My germination rates were fair. Out of 12 seed produced within one capsule, 4 germinated and the resulting seedlings immediately showed hybrid vigor.

My first attempts were made in my greenhouse and thanks to our consistant 80-100% humidity, miserably failed!

I've noticed some very interesting anomalies emerging from my hybrid cross that will be further explained in the photos below. Please note that the Byblis 'Goliath' that I grow is the diploid form and not the tetraploid self-pollinating variant that has been recently documented. And now, time for some photos. Introducing, the first Byblis hybrid! Below are two distinct forms of the forementioned hybrid.

Some interesting things happen when you cross different Byblis species...

1074550960_xQy84-XL.jpg

1074550935_Hufps-XL.jpg

1074551048_P54mP-XL.jpg

1074566587_jknvW-XL.jpg

Here is one of the more normal looking variants. Traits from both parents are clearly visable in both hybrid variants.

1074550861_dhcwA-XL.jpg

1074550823_id7DX-XL.jpg

1074550899_HZ9Qx-XL.jpg

1074558677_XFSb5-XL.jpg

Here's a few B. 'Goliath' variants for your enjoyment;

1074548464_yAFDc-X2.jpg

Happy Growing,
Brian Barnes 11/2/10.

Last edited:
:0o:

Wowwow!

That is absolutely astounding!!! Looks very nice!
Excellent work and growing there, fellow Floridian ;D

What a beautiful hybrid! It's so....dewy.

Absolutely love it! Put me on the list for when seeds go on sale.

Awesome job at furthering the genetic variations of Byblis! They look beautiful

Orchidales is sicccck!

Wowie! Nice!

I'd like seeds off the "broom", please. :-D

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Time will tell what goodies may be in store within the genus Byblis......:grin:

Happy Growing,

Brian

Gorgeous flowers!

Back