What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Camera: Lumix GF3

While I like my Nikon for point and shoot, I couldn't readily control depth of field and shutter speed as all these things are all done automatically for you. The first picture illustrates the Nikon camera. Sometimes I have to trick it by locking focus and then move closer or further away. The new camera does offer more posibilities - though certainly there's also more possibility for error. Still, here's a comparison shot:

Nikon S8100:

cp-feb2012-mulxlow001.jpg

By contrast, here's a picture from the new Lumix camera:

Lumix GF3:

cp-feb2012-mulxlow002.jpg

Thoughts?

I can't see the first picture... But either way...

It's true. Point and shoot just aren't that great. :cry:

WOW!!! Beautiful!!! :drool:

I like the second one better honestly. There is more contrast, and the color actually looks more like a lowii. Which one more accurately displays the color? The first one does look a bit saturated, and I noticed my point and shoot does that too.

Well, they were taken on different days at different times of the day, but yeah, I think color saturation is greater in the point and shoot - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but yeah, it's closer to the bottom one.
I also like the blurred background too which I can adjust more easily in the Lumix.

You can adjust the color saturation. There's a noticeable difference. How do you like the mirrorless system? I've been thinking of ditching the point and shoot for a mirrorless SLR, this is one I was looking at. It's definitely not going to replace my Olympus E-5, but it would be a nice backup.

Wow.. big difference. Very nice sir.

Despite nice results with your Nikon I'd always go with the greater control. It's a wonderful feeling to actually get the shot that you saw in your head when you opened the shutter. It's very helpful to be able to manually control the aperature.

I like the narrower depth of field as well, helps to concentrate the attention on the subject. When I saw your first photo my attention was almost immediately drawn to the ceph in the background but on the second I immediately saw the nep pitcher.

Hey Wireman!

So far I'm liking it just fine. The camera is smaller than a full-size SLR so it's far more convenient to carry and also get into position for awkward shots. The lenses are also significantly smaller and lighter too. Response can be a little quirky at times - dropping frames, but I guess it does this in order to keep up with the near-optical viewfinder speeds of the LCD. I've not had a chance to explore 1/10th of the features on the camera namely because the intelligent assistant (IA) does such a good job of adjusting the settings for the shots. As I get to know it I'll start doing more manual shots and post the results here for evaluation. :)

Peatmoss: Yes, I do like the fact that the main subject is much more readily distinguished in with the Lumix. I will prolly still keep the Nikon for quick and dirty stuff.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad that response is overwhelmingly positive! :)

I've been playing around with the new camera and different settings. Check out the results:

cp-feb2012-pic002.jpg

cp-feb2012-pic003.jpg

cp-feb2012-pic004.jpg

cp-feb2012-pic005.jpg

cp-feb2012-pic006.jpg

cp-feb2012-pic007.jpg

cp-feb2012-pic008.jpg

cp-feb2012-pic009.jpg

WOW very, very nice pics! I love the first one of the trusmadinesis!

Holy crap, that is awesome!

YESSS!

Perfect pics, just so, so perfect! The clarity is incredible!

I like what I see! Very nice photos.

Awesome shots, duder! You're getting some great color balance, too, which can be tough. Well done!

Very nice. Is the first one N. villosa?

Back