What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cultivar of dionea

dang, those are some messed up VFTs.

man i hate all these new mutated venus flytraps. theyre interesting but hideous also. i like the "monkey ***" clone though. i bet they'll change it to just "monkey butt" but i hope they change it to "sunburned fat guys *** crack" LOL

Thats just awful..why would anyone want to do that??
booo...
If I owned those plants, I would destroy them before their genes can spread..

Scot

In terms of genetic mutations, survival of the fittest is how the world works and evolves. But remember that "fittest" just means likelihood to pass on genes. That's what is happening here. It doesn't matter that the plants have dysfunctional traps or wouldn't survive in the wild... it is specifically those mutations or more specifically the traits that cause them to stand out amongst the others that makes them "fit". In all likelihood, those freaks of nature will be much, much more successful than their normal counterparts, even if those normal ones get more respect from us (for being able to catch insects). All in all, this is just another niche, and an increasingly common one: Appealing to human's desire for the unusual.

Edit: @scotty, I'm not saying that humans are a perfect part of nature or anything like that. Just that in terms of darwin, this makes perfect sense. When it comes to species survival, natural and artificial selection are both the same... at the fundamental level, it doesn't matter if genes are passed on by humans or bees, the plant doesn't care.

In terms of genetic mutations, survival of the fittest is how the world works and evolves. But remember that "fittest" just means likelihood to pass on genes. That's what is happening here. It doesn't matter that the plants have dysfunctional traps or wouldn't survive in the wild... it is specifically those mutations or more specifically the traits that cause them to stand out amongst the others that makes them "fit". In all likelihood, those freaks of nature will be much, much more successful than their normal counterparts, even if those normal ones get more respect from us (for being able to catch insects). All in all, this is just another niche, and an increasingly common one: Appealing to human's desire for the unusual.

Just because humans do something, that doesnt automitically make it "right" or "good"! ;)
We have had this debate before: "humans are part of nature, therefore these man-made genetic mutations are "natural"..I cant agree..
I think we have arrived to a point where we are "outside of nature"..
IMO, Humans arent natural! :jester:

Scot

Wonderful -- carnivorous plants with performance anxiety. Where can I sign up for a batch of those -- particularly the newer cultivars which resemble massive spider mite infestations?

Are these mutations somehow induced?

In all likelihood, those freaks of nature will be much, much more successful than their normal counterparts, even if those normal ones get more respect from us (for being able to catch insects). All in all, this is just another niche, and an increasingly common one: Appealing to human's desire for the unusual.

I disagree. Basically, natural selection can be simply seen as a change in gene frequency over time; and mutations -- both in the wild and in laboratory settings -- are far more likely to be either deleterious or fatal than productive in some way. Were some of these plants occurring naturally, their survival would be questionable; that they were the product of micro-propagation and the largesse of the cultivators, makes that even less so.

The final question would be whether these cultivars are even capable of setting viable seed? That would go far in determining any potential survival . . .

I really don't see the point of making such a beautiful plant so messed up!

I don't get how "Qualzucht" is unusual, it just looks like its diseased.

Nuke them from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure. ;)

Theyre almost as bad as the 'pompom' Dionea!

28182608.jpg

if we are not talking right or sbagliato.Qui it comes to genetic manipulation.
These plants may be of interest to collectors or no ..

Monkey *** is awesome haha. The rest... KILL IT WITH FIRE!

._.
/hides her complete want list with a twinge of shame

Hey that pom-pom thing looks cool!

Back