What's new
hello,

My name is Jay Austin, and I am addicted to carnivorous plants.

I am a professional horticulturist at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, VA where among other things I manage the collection of CP's. We have a nice collection of Sarracenia that was originally installed in the mid 90's. I have taken over the collection and am in the process of expanding it.

I have become a grower for the NASC and am safekeeping those plants at the Garden. I also have a growing personal collection.

Anyway, I am happy to be here and look forward to making many new relationships here.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Welcome indeed! Do you know/collaborate with Phil Sheridan of the Meadowview Biological Research Station?

Welcome indeed! Do you know/collaborate with Phil Sheridan of the Meadowview Biological Research Station?

I met Dr. Sheridan this past summer. We took a trip up to Meadowview to pick up some plants we purchased. We got a nice tour of the Central Virginia Preserve and the growing facilities there. Excellent trip.

gnathaniel

Subsurface Lurker
Welcome, Jay! It's been about 15 years since I lived in the Old Dominion, but I grew up in Blacksburg and my parents are still in the area.

Jay,

Welcome! I'm another Jay in Virginia. I'm an avid hobbyist and very amateur field naturalist in Fairfax County. My neighbors are slowly getting used to my 13' x 26' greenhouse :).

I live very close to Meadowlark Botanical Gardens (part of the Northern Virginia Parks Authority). They have a very sad native plant bog with a few CPs installed, and I've been trying to figure out a way to get them more interested in carnivores for display (and, hopefully, let me volunteer to help).

If you're interested in a mature Drosophyllum for the gardens, please look at the NASC auction. I would be happy to drive it to you for a chance to see LGBG.