What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pocket guide

Finally! Earlier estimates said May but I don't have it yet...
smile_h_32.gif

I just placed an order so I should be reading it by Wed/Thursday! The only lame part about ordering from NHP is always paying as much or more in postage than for their fantastic books. I always buy a few things to justify the postage expense so I loaded up on some of their fun magazine type "pocket books":

Neps of Sarawak
Neps of Sabah (I gave my copy to my cousin when she started a class in tropical botany)
Lizards of Borneo
Probocis Monkeys of Borneo
Orang-utans of Borneo
A Walk in the Lowland Forest
A Color Guide to Kinabalu Park
A Guide to the Parks of Sabah

The order breaks down to about $13.90 per book when postage is added (and "remote delivery address" on NHPs order form is set to "no"). If you are planing to order from them might a s well try and find a few other peopel to go in with you and split the huge shipping fees-but on the plus side you will get your books within just a couple days!
smile.gif

Hi Swords:

You have a very interesting collection of books. However, i noticed that you don't seem to have the following:

Nepenthes of sumatra and peninsular malaysia
and the guide to Nepenthes of Sumatra

Have you seen these before?

Gus

Hi Gus,

Oh yes, those two were among my first ones I ordered over a year ago (after Neps of Borneo/Neps of Sabah). These above were just cheaper books of theirs that I was eyeballing and waiting to order until this Neps of Sarawak book came out. I still want the Phasmids of Borneo, Dragonflies of Borneo and Birds of Borneo (the big one not the pocket guide) but those pricer tomes will have to wait a bit.

As far as my selection goes, I like good reference books on just about any nature related subject and of all the books I scour at the book shops theirs are almost always top notch when they arrive. The Stick and Leaf Insects of Singapore book they have was really disappointing and the only book of theirs I sold almost immediately. It was almost entirely  B/W line art and not too good art. All their other titles I have are chock full of great text and images. The best book I have from NHP (asside from the strick Nepenthes related titles) is National Parks of Sarawak which is a huge volume and has tons of info on the climate, geology, land forms, rivers, lakes, natives, plants, animals, etc  in the park lands around Sarawak.

Hi fellow nep enthusiats,

I don't think the shipping charge is that high. I have made enquiry with a local bookstore and they can get the book for me. So if you have difficulty in getting the book I get get it for you for:

Australia: US$16.00
Europe (Germany, UK, etc): $18.00
USA: $21.00

The price is inclusive of shipping by Registered airmail in a padded envelope. For purchase of 3 copies or more, I will ship by EMS (express mail).

Those interested can PM me or email me at:
kltower@streamyx.com

Choong

Back