What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New terrarium...(newbie questions! LOL)

T

Tara

Ok guys, I'm going to be setting up a new terrarium using a 15 gallon fishtank for my flytrap (its getting a little too big for its britches and growing like a weed! Um...no pun intended *blush*) and would like to know which other plants were ok to put in there (as far as soil, light, humidity and temperature conditions go). I have horses and cows, so in the summer and spring I'll be going out and getting a few flies and spiders once or twice a month and letting them all go in there (don't worry...the hood is escape proof! *shudder*). As far as drainage and root base goes, I'll have thin layer of gravel (maybe 1/4 inch) underneath a thicker layer of soil (3 inches?). I have heard that keeping the water level at the top of the gravel layer works well for watering, so thats probably what I'll end up doing. As far as light goes, the hood has one flourescent bulb in it and I'll be getting two 60 watt plant lights to put on either side. I'd also like to get as many different types of carnivorous plants in there as possible, so if you guys could suggest a few that are compatable that would be awesome! ANYWAY...tell me what you think guys. Will it work? If not, what needs to be fixed? Also, any suggestions you guys have for healthier plants would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton guys!
smile.gif

Ok your lighting sounds good, but make sure the plants are no more than 8 inches away from the bulbs.( the closer the better) Instead of planting them in the terrarium I would leave them in there pots. It may not look as good,but your plants will do better in the long run. All you have to do is put an inch of distilled water in the tank and set the pots in it. If you do like that you can grow pings, sundews, VFT's,utrics, and maybe some Nepenthes.

Hey guys! Thanks for the reply. I may just go ahead and leave them in their pots and do the inch of water thing.

Forgive me, but whats a nep...whatever. LOL I'm guessing they're pitcher plants, but I'm "a newbie" LOL so bare with me
wink.gif

Tara,
Nep (Nepenthes) are tropical pitcher plants. They require no dormancy. Nepenthes Gracilis and N. Raff can be both purchased here, petflytrap. But more species are coming out. Hope this helps.

LoL thanks a ton! I thought thats what a nepenthes was, and I would definitley like to try and grow them. I think they're beautiful! Anyway, thanks for all the advice and ideas guys! Hopefully I'll have a good terrarium going soon!
smile.gif

I recomend a Nepenthes Ventricosa as your start off point if you're going to start with Nepenthes.
smile.gif

I think that N x ventrata is easier than ventricosa as it has the advantage of being a hybrid, which usually tend to be even easier than the parents (for themost part at least...).

Well yeah but I didn't know if Tara wanted a hybrid or not so i suggested a species, but yes Ventrata is a windowsill plant, and it is bomb proof like Ventricosa! lol Also would be a good choice is Khasiana.

LoL! You guys are confusing me! Hehe...I'm getting some sundews pretty soon from someone here, and then I'll probably order the rest of the plants off of this site...are all of the plants you suggested on here?? I also don't mind hybrids...I just want nice looking, easy to care for plants
smile.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
smile.gif
You all have been awesome! Keep it comin!
smile.gif

OK then he's my list to you of good first time CP's for the terrarium:

Sundews:

D.Adelae
D.Spathulata
D.Capensis any forms

Sarracenia are not suitable

Nepenthes:

N.Gracilis
N.Ventricosa
N.Sanguinea
N.Ventrata (do well in your house in no terrarium)
N.Alata
N.Khasiana (same as Ventrata)

All other CP's will do reasonably well too.

Will Drosera intermedia be ok in a terrarium with some of those other plants??

Probably, intermedia are very hardy sundews and can survive a number of conditions.

Oh, nep G, about more nep growers, I'm now one!
smile.gif
Oh, I have some D. intermedia 'Cuba' in my terrarium, they're doing quite nice
biggrin.gif
(so try them) Just my $0.02

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ Aug. 16 2002,11:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, nep G, about more nep growers, I'm now one!
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
O yes me too finally!! =]
Oh and intermediate is very hardy. Mine also grew many new leaves after the others dried because of shipping.

Awesome! You guys are growing exactly what I am it sounds like. Anyway, what about letting them flower? How bad is it for them? Thanks guys!
smile.gif

What is your secret? You mentioned your flytraps are growing like weeds. I WISH! I just started with them, but they don't look well.

:)

Back