What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New VFT owner

• Thread starter RJM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
R

RJM

Hi everyone. I am a new VFT owner and new to these forums.
I have one question to start with. When you place the VFT in the fridge in November for hibernation, do you just place the potted VFT in the fridge or do you place the potted VFT in a sealed container? Also, do you continue to water it everyday during hibernation?
Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Hi RJM, Welcome to the world of VFT's and the forum! I'm relatively new myself, but from what I've been reading here so far, it's suggested that for the 3 month (roughly) dormancy period the VFT can be kept in your fridge at about 2-10 degrees, and I believe the common advice has been to place your VFT on a saucer with about 1/2 - 1 inches of distilled water in it and place it in a plastic bag tied at the top. It shouldn't need much watering over the dormancy period from what I've been told. If I am wrong, hopefully someone will come along, read this and correct me if I'm not giving you the right info...but I think I got it straight, and just be getting it all sunk into my head finally! Good Luck!  
wink.gif

Welcome to the forums RJM
biggrin.gif
!

Carniverous newbie you got it right except the watering tray.  You don't need to water them if you place them in the fridge.  If they are in a cold room then they need to be watered just enough to keep the soil slightly damp but not wet.  Not bad for 8 days on the forum.
Pretty good actually.
wink.gif

smile.gif

RJM some people also use a fungiside to help control fungus while the plant is dormant in the fridge.  Whether you use fungiside or not you should check your plants 1 or 2 times a week to make sure they aren't too wet or dry (there can be a lot of condensation in the bag) and to make sure fungus hasn't started to grow.

Edited by BCK @ 8:O6 8/21/02

By the way I use ziplock bags for my plants.
smile.gif

Hi RJM

Welcome to the forums! You've gotten good advice about dormancy. A general guide line is to put them to sleep around Thanksgiving and wake them up around Valentine's Day. And I just wanted to add, depending on where you live (if you have cold winters), you can just keep them outside. All my VFTs are in pots and are kept outdoors year 'round. Temps got down in the 'teens (farenheit) and they were fine. I live in Virginia, USA. In fact, some never totally lost their green leaves. I just wanted to add that in case you might think the only way to have dormancy was by putting them in the 'fridge.

Hope you stick around and try some other varieties of CPs.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back