What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nj pine barrens

Awsome! Nice pics. That's a good way to tempt folks into the trip.
smile.gif

Very cool pictures! Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

I have always wanted to go there and I am planning on making the trip in Sept. I can't wait. CP's and swamp snakes what more can you ask for?
smile_n_32.gif

Are you sure that the snake is not a cottonmouth? that's what it looks like to me.

Really cool! Nice photos. I would love to go to the NJPB. Seems as how I live in NY, it wouldn't be too hard, right? Yeah.

Ozzy,
It's actually a Northern Water Snake. When they're young some have the diamond shaped colorations, most adults over 3 years old lose the markings. It also had a muck slimmer and smaller head than a cottonmouth. Believe me my face was less than a foot away when it popped his head up! He didn't move, I just jumped back a few feet. Then I took the pic.

I know they both look very much the same. I'm sure you had a way better look at it than the pic shows. If I saw that snake I would take a long look to make sure it wasn't a cottonmouth.

Ozzy,
I'm pretty sure Cottonmouths are not this far north.

Really? I never looked to see what their range is.

I found the range.

agkpis2.gif

Ozzy, SNAKES OF NEW JERSEY
Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon)
Identification: 24" - 42". Although commonly mistaken for a water moccasin, the Northern Water Snake is a nonvenomous
species.
Just thought I'd post this, it is very similar in apperance to the water moccasin. There is actually a place near my home(in NJ) where I've seen about a hundred or so of these snakes mating in one big heap. It was like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I've never seen so many snakes at one time! I didn't know what type of snakes they were, I had to ask the local park ranger. He said it was pretty common occurance among the water snakes.

Looks like the Pine Barrens trip is a go! If you're interested follow the tread started by member elgecko under the listing of Bog trip in the general discussions forum. Or pm me. Hope to see ya there.

Back