What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number of carnivorous plants.

How many species of carnivorous plants are there in the world? If you don't know, could you please tell me how many there are in a singel genus, assuming you know at least one that is.

There was a thread on this subject a while back, but to repeat, here is an approximate list. The taxonomic splitters would say more, the lumpers would say fewer.

Sarraceniaceae
Darlingtonia (1 species)
Heliamphora (7 species)
Sarracenia (10 species)

Nepenthaceae
Nepenthes (91 species)

Droseraceae
Aldrovanda (1 species)
Dionaea (1 species)
Drosera (152 species)

Drosophyllaceae
Drosophyllum (1 species)

Byblidaceae
Byblis (5 species)

Cephalotaceae
Cephalotus (1 species)

Lentibulariaceae
Genlisea (20 species)
Pinguicula (79 species)
Utricularia (221 species)

That's a lot of Bladderworts...
Thanks for the info guys.

10 Sarracenia?
What are the other 2?
Dino
cool.gif

let's see,
Alata, leucophylla, flava, psttacina, minor, purpurea, rubra, oreophila, what am i missing here? Those are the ones i know off the top of my head.

Dionaea goes under sarraceniaceae
@ Dino
remember we are talking about species.. not hybrids

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Nov. 26 2004,2:25)]b]Sarraceniaceae[/b]
Darlingtonia       (1 species)
Heliamphora      (7 species)
Sarracenia        (10 species)
No Ameteur expert.
Look at what BobZ said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Nov. 26 2004,11:25)]The taxonomic splitters would say more, the lumpers would say fewer.
Notice my original caveat. The 10 species of Sarracenia came from Barry's list. The additional 2 "species" are S. alabamensis and S. jonesii. The ICPS database put them into subspecies of S. rubra.

where did my post go?
I asked how many of them are endangered.

Probably 90% of them.
All Sarracenia are endangered int hr wild, most neps are endangered, lots of Sundews are endangered etc

Back