What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OH LOOK! NEW VERSION OF D. capensis 'narrow leaf'

BTW, Joe was the great guy who set up my avatar for me.

biggrin.gif

Sounds to me like some form of stem cell activity where the stem cells have developed the complete genetic information of the parent.Just guessing but it may be worth a look

vivaporousness isn`t just from fruits\seeds it also refers to baby plants growing off of the leaves such as n.micrantha and the various bryophilliums.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 17 2004,12:06)]<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Spelling things correctly, or knowing how to spell correctly helps:

Viviparous: Viviparous definition
Comic6a.gif

Describes seeds or fruit which sprout before they fall from the parent plant.</span>
okay yah, that helps.  But it's an all encomposing term, for any sort of asexual plantlet production. I'm glad it is a real word, cause I use it in the animal sence all the time and it was worrying me
smile.gif
You know,

Me: "Hey cool, that snake is pregnant"
Inocent bistander: "don't they lay eggs?"
Me: "Not this type they are Viviparous."
IB: Funny look
Me (quickly): "the eggs hatch inside the mom before the babies emerge."
IB: "oh....... kay"

Well
smile.gif
 A plantlet spitting sundew sure does sound neeto.  How long untill we start seeing them up for trade? ;) LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ Feb. 20 2004,12:31)]Well
smile.gif
 A plantlet spitting sundew sure does sound neeto.  How long untill we start seeing them up for trade? ;) LOL
lol, well as for trading them, I still have to conduct more "expariments" and make sure it continues to do this. I just noticed that the "mother" plant that started this has just kicked out 2 new ones onto the ground.

Viviparous has become a catch all term for clones that propagate from a certain area of certain plants but is incorrect considering that "Viviparous" essentially means the offspring are born live of the mother plant. Plants or animals that have been genetically created from a mother and a father.

The correct term for what is being described above is "epiphyllous".

I know all about the word Viviparous in waterlilies and wish people would get away from using the term since it's incorrect.
Even I am at fault for continuing the use of the word. Guess I will just have to write a book and debacle over 100 years of incorrect use of a word.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean,

Off topic, do you do anything with red-eye tree frogs? I had one once and I loved it.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Cant say that I have had any dealings with these tree frogs.
Will admit though when I purchase my house and build my atrium they would be a welcome addition to my tropical paradise.

Cheers,
Sean

I am going to try to get some dart and tree frogs. They will go into the grow chambers with the plants. I will add small lizards and salamanders as well. I will have to do some studies on which will get along with each other.

I guess theres no point on staying on topic unless anyone is curious since someone banned jon
rock.gif
. I've never even seen a red eyed tree frog but they're cool little frogs

Messa Back! The moderator doesn't know what happened with my account. So I had to recreate it.
rock.gif

Oh, that is good. It struck me as odd that you would be banned. So, how goes the project.

Going good, just took some snap shots of the resulting plant. I'll have it online soon.

Well, guess what...

:: waits for people to guess ::

Ok...since no one wants to play...

I looked at my Drosera adela and noticed IT'S DOING THE SAME TRYPE OF LEAF DIVISION THAT THE CAPENSIS IS DOING!!! On one leaf it's got a new plant groing off of it and on another it's got a second plant growing!

For those of you going to the next LACPS meeting you will be able to see this weird form of propagation in person because I will be bringing in my whole terrarium for a show and tell AND feeding...

Back