What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old flower spikes

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I have a Phalaenopsis Orchid and about a month ago it had finished flowering. I have a new spike starting to grow now.
biggrin.gif
What should be done with the old one? Do I trim it off at the base of the plant, or just let it there?

If the old spike is dead (dried out, straw yellow), there's no reason to leave it on the plant - so you might as well cut it off at the base. Cut it short but don't worry about leaving a 1/2" or so. It won't hurt anything and it's more important not to damage the surrounding living tissue when you make the cut.

If it's still green, leave it be - it might re-bloom.

Merlin

I just leave old spikes and, when they're old and dry and I happen to be nearby with scissors in my hand, I cut them off. I leave an inch or two. There's no benefit in hurrying.

Is it true that if you leave 2 inches of old stem baby orchids will sprout from it?

Some Phals grow babies (keikis) without any encouragement. My Phal pulchra is one such species, but it seems to grow separate spikes for blooms and keikis. There's a special hormone paste called KeikiGro, or something like that, that can turn a Phal flower bud to a vegetative bud. I've never used it, but it's a relatively low-tech way to replicate a prized Phal.

Back