What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ortho "Volck" Oil Spray

Can this be used on my VFTs, and Capensis for their mite issues?

Oils and soap based pesticides in general should not be used on CPs and sprays almost never on Drosera. Although Neem Oil can be used other than on Drosera.

Have you IDed the mites or insects? Blind application of pesticides can make matters worse. Some chemicals can actually increase some mite species populations. Always read the product literature to see if usage is recommended on a specific pest.

Are you sure they are mites and not springtails? In your previous post you said they are in the moss and soil - typical of springtails. Springtails are relatively easy to identify because they are quite shy when disturbed and will scurry for cover or hop away rapidly whereas most mites are relatively slow moving and do not hop.

if they were springtails i wouldnt be freaking out about it
i have been using a microscope after all, and ive seen springtails in there
these were red mites, possibly spider mites, so i bought the volck oil, which is specified for spider mites and other chewing/sucking insects
so i mixed a light solution with my spray bottle and misted my VFTs, havent had a problem yet.

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/even...l/documentId/a69ec3d28e01117707546b170426b519

Active ingredients:
97% petroleum oil
Where to Use: For outdoor use only. On conifers, roses, shrubs and trees, including apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, pears, plums and citrus (grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges and tangerines)
Where Not to Use: Maidenhair ferns, red maples, Japanese maples or non-woody plants unless otherwise specified. Volck® Oil Spray may cause discoloration to blue spruce.
Cautions: Only use this product outdoors.

http://www.yardener.com/UsingHorticulturalOil.html
Volk Oil is the traditional heavier grade oil, which is used as a preventive spray on fruit trees in early spring,
Traditional heavy horticultural spray oils have a viscosity of 100 to 200. If used indiscriminately on plant foliage, they can clog the pores on leaves and buds, cutting off respiration and killing the plant. These dormant oil sprays were designed to be used in fall through early spring on plants that have lost their leaves during the winter, primarily fruit trees. Applied to branches and stems while trees are leafless, the oil smothers insect eggs hidden in the bark.

97% petroleum oil ey...

hmmm ya reckon its vavoline or quaker state hehehehe, about like the old hillbilly trick of used motor oil/kerosense on your dog for the mange...

it worked.... errr that is if he ever came back home after the application LOL

Av

it also can be used as leaf polish for house plants
i read the instructions, i know :D
i used a very small amount of it
and by very small, i mean only about a half teaspoon

Back