What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint fumes

• Thread starter cool85k5
  • Start date
I am building a nep chamber/cp shelf,I painted the inside of it with Kilz water/mildew proofer.I painted it yesterday and it still has a paint smell,will it hurt my plants?It's not like I can just put it outside,as it is 7' tall x 4 1/2' wide and 2' deep,heavy!

Jerry

I'd give it plenty of time to air out before putting any plants in it.  Not only for the plants' sake, but also for the paint.  The inner part of the paint layer is much slower to cure and you don't want to boost the humidity before the paint's ready.

The company's website says to wait two weeks before washing the painted surface (assuming you used the high-gloss).  If you can wait that long before using it, everything should be fine.  If that's too long to wait, just wait as long as you can.

It may hurt the plants, i don't know though. But you'd probably want to air the place out for the paint to dry and so the fumes get out (even if it won't hurt the plants, you don't want to smell it
smile_m_32.gif
)

Back