What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give Away Passiflora foetida giveaway--only a few seeds

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
The giveaway is for a set of 5 seeds, to 3 people. Completely free.

A friend just sent me some seeds. Passiflora foetida has gotten attention as potentially having some characteristics of a carnivorous plant. Sticky bracts surround the buds, flowers and fruit. No real evidence has been shown of the plants deriving nourishment from any bugs that are "caught", and I think the consensus right now is that it is not a carnivorous plant. There is a detailed article here, on "Protocarnivorous Plants", with photos of Passiflora foetida.

Regardless of whether or not it's carnivorous, it's a cool plant. It can be grown as an annual, flowering and fruiting in its first year, at least in climates with a sufficiently long growing season. Fruits are tiny, but edible, and apparently tasty.

My friend tells me she has never seen a trapped insect.

It looks like I have about 25 seeds, not including a couple that got crushed in transit--sent protected with 1 layer of bubble wrap. I'm hoping the rest are OK. I'm keeping a few to try here.

The seeds could have come from any one of three varieties she grows, or perhaps crosses between them. I believe she said one of the 3 is likely a hybrid with Passiflora sublanceolata.

I'll send these in a coin case, to protect the seeds from crushing. Feel free to combine this with the Aristolochia seeds I'm also posting, if both are available.

They came in a bit of goo, so I'm drying them, and trying to get a look at whether others may have damage. So far I don't see anything obvious.

Passiflora foetida seeds .jpg
(the two crushed ones are on the left)

One P. foetida left. Camden M and Tigerscott79 are interested in both Aristolochia gibertii and P. foetida seeds.

Interested; I've been trying to locate foetida forever.

I seem to always miss your give-aways!

If you have extra passiflora seeds, I'd like some. :)

Thanks for being so generous!

Back