What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics - Recent Acquisitions

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Some Drosera I acquired before Christmas.

D. paradoxa

00640017.jpg

Some sick/dead ones:

00640018.jpg

00640021.jpg

D. glabripes "Hermanus"

00640002.jpg

munching bloodworm

00640024.jpg

D. venusta

00640006.jpg

00640005.jpg

munching:

00640025.jpg

your D. paradoxa appears to be going dormant. As long as there is some green in the center you should be ok. It can be quite alarming when these go dormant, all of the outer leaves can die back in a few days!
Good growing!
Peter.

Nice pictures. I would have worried if a plant apperently croaked on me like that.

<div>
(pingman @ Dec. 29 2006,8:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">your D. paradoxa appears to be going dormant.  As long as there is some green in the center you should be ok.  It can be quite alarming when these go dormant, all of the outer leaves can die back in a few days!  
Good growing!
Peter.</div>
Thanks for the pics, one of my paradoxa and my petiolaris look like yours. I guess it is time to dry out a bit.

great plants!

<div>
(the great cornholio @ Jan. 01 2007,2:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Where did you get the D. glabripes?</div>
One of the guys at the last Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society meeting has great success with tissue culture propagation. He usually brings a few trays of plants to sell or trade. I bought the D. venusta and the D. glabripes from him. The D. paradoxa is from him too, he was giving it away for what ever reason.

The D. paradoxa is "Mount Bomford".

<div>
(CP30 @ Jan. 01 2007,7:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for the pics, one of my paradoxa and my petiolaris look like yours. I guess it is time to dry out a bit.

great plants!</div>
Well the "sick" pot is very sad looking now. At least when I took those pictures the biggest plant in the pot still had its leaves and the other plants hadn't dried out yet.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow, as the Utric. in my D. aliciae pot is blooming and it will help identify the species.

D. paradoxa update: Yesterday I noticed some new leaves with dew on them. The one plant (upper right corner in photo above) in the "sick" pot that didn't fall apart has a few leaves with dew too.

D. paradoxa update: Yesterday I noticed some new leaves with dew on them. The one plant (upper right corner in photo above) in the "sick" pot that didn't fall apart has a few leaves with dew too.

The pics look like plants suffering transfer shock. In general, providing new plants an extra humid 'recovery room' usually helped get them through this potentially trying time with minimal trauma.

Usually you don't know how the new plants were originally grown after purchasing. Giving them extra humidity in the beginning and then slowly acclimating them to your conditions helps survival rates (for me anyway - except D. regia).

Well the one that fell apart went into the tank/terrarium right away, the other one went on the windowsill for maybe a week until Peter (pingman) said they should be kept above 68F.

Here's some photos of the D. paradoxa taken this week:

03980010.jpg

The sick ones
03980009.jpg

closeups

03980012.jpg

03980013.jpg

03980035.jpg

03980034.jpg

Not sure if it is going dormant or not...usually it will form a ball in the middle and won't produce new growth.

I could be wrong but I'd say it just needs more water or just more time to adapt to your surroundings.

Petiolaris complex expect a six month wet/dry season with the dry season in autumn & winter. As recommended I've been letting the trays dry out with 2-3 days between watering and adding only a quarter inch or so of water.

I'm ignorant to the wet/dry season growing of Paradoxa. I just grew it as a tropical plant, when it got cold it came inside under the lights. What benefits are there for giving them a dry period?

From what I gather petiolaris complex Drosera develop fairly extensive (for Drosera) almost tuberous roots. If the plant goes dormant overwatering could lead to root rot.

Speaking of the LA carnivorous plant society which meeting did you get them at and do you know when the next meeting is I'm a little new to growing and I want to go to one of the meetings, the website does not keep updated...

I went to the last meeting on December 16. The meetings are the 3rd Saturday every other month. The next meeting should be February 17.

Check out the LACPS Yahoo Group too.

From what I gather petiolaris complex Drosera develop fairly extensive (for Drosera) almost tuberous roots. If the plant goes dormant overwatering could lead to root rot.

So wouldn't you want to grow it like a tropical to prevent it from going dormant? D. Regia will go dormant too if you give it the right temps and less light, however I don't give it a chance to.

According to Peter D'Amato this complex will continue to grow in cultivation if kept wet. The experience with with those who I've heard that grow the wooleys is that they'll do as they damn well please and may or may not go dormant. Since the plants appeared to be dormant it was safer to err on the side of underwatering rather the overwatering. The woolys have a reputation of being difficult to bring out of dormancy. And again, the experienced growers recommended the "dry" watering.

It should be noted that the appearnce of the dormant plant varies from species to species, some with not so obvious "hibernicula". Also according to D'Amato some will die down to the root when dormant.

See this also thread.

Are they in peat and vermiculite?

Last edited:
Back