What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula Yucca Do 1714 is actually Pinguicula cyclosecta?

yup---i found that out a couple of months back as well...i guess the flowers gave it away?

Flowers? LOL! Someday....

Wow, nice find Jim. That definitely looks like P. cyclosecta to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
1714 is most definitely Pinguicula cyclosecta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Travis,

The source was your article, which came to me from someone else. Why is it that Pinguicula cyclosecta is the obly one with a real species name? And whatever happened to 1-1699?

There were only 1712, 1713, 1714, 1715, 1716, 1717 and 1718. They were collected (legally) by YuccaDo Nursery many many years ago. The people at YuccaDo knew they were Pings but not what kind so they just tagged them with numeric codes. Someone at YuccaDo knew someone at ABG and sent ABG a few of each and then the ABG crew passed them on to me for assistance identification. The only obvious one, when it flowered, was 1714 though I had a pretty good idea even before it flowered because cyclosecta has a very distinct rosette. The others I ID'd as bet I could, 1713 and 1717 were either esseriana or jauvamensis. To this day I have never met anyone who can tell those two species apart so that was the best I could do. 1715, I proposed was a natural hybrid of 1714 and 1717. This was later supported when a cyclosecta x esseriana hybrid was man-made and it looked near identical. 1712, 1716 and 1718 are probably variants of moranensis.

Thanks for explaining the behind the scenes story. Now.... why do we have 1713 & 1717 if they appear identical, including the few flower pictures in existence (VFTreasure, in particular)?

Now.... why do we have 1713 & 1717 if they appear identical, including the few flower pictures in existence (VFTreasure, in particular)?

They were collected from different locations.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they are 2 separate and distinct types. They may be one type that generated 2 populations.

Not following you... They are the same species but from two different location. Kind of like if someone were to collect a S. flava from a bog in SC and another from a bog in NC. Both are still S. flava but they are from distinct locations

In my opinion, they should be called the same species, with some sort of identifier as to their location. The way they are rendered, to me, they come across as being 2 separate species - one for 1713 and one for 1717. I'd rather see something like D. spatulata 'Ahiapara' and D. spatulata 'Lovellae'.

Ah... I see what you are driving at. What you have to remember was that they were collected by a guy who knew very little about Pings. All he knew was that they were Pings so when he collected them he just gave them codes. The codes were all ABG had when I took them on and I kept the codes because they are identifiers. It is easy enough to flip it to P. esseriana/jauvamensis (YuccaDo 1713) if needed though

I find it good that these codes are in circulation because one be pretty sure that if he has a p. cyclosecta and Yucca Do 1714 that they are different genetic specimines and that they will produce viable seed if crossed!

I wish plants carried codes more often, like an international listing of genetically different clones.

Back