What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pitcher question

Hi All,

I have several mystery neps. from Lowe's that are very healthy plants. I've had them several months and they came with pitchers already on them. They lost those, but only one has set a new pitcher, a very small one. The others want to, but the little tips that should grow into pitchers are just drying out. They all live together in a terrarium in a window that gets no direct sun, but bright light (though that is decreasing now as the season progresses). I do have a light I turn on over the tank in the evening to extend the light a bit. What else do you think they need?  Also, I just acquired a truncata -- a tiny plant with a hugh pitcher -- and I want to keep that healthy and producing pitchers, too. Does that plant need anything special?

Thanks!

cpwitch

If you're not getting much natural light, then I'd turn the light over your tank on all day. What kind of light is it?

Capslock

Thanks Swords for referring me to your website. It appears to have all of the information I'll need! I've bookmarked it for more leisurely reading later.

And Capslock, I have my plants in an old 10 galleon aquarium. I have seven plants in it (all it will hold, but their leaves do not touch). The light fixture holds two aquarium-type light bulbs (I guess they are small flurescents?) and I just looked to check the wattage and they are 15 watts each. Perhaps I need higher wattage? I was afraid that having them under lights would be too hot for them, and they would burn.

Thanks for your help -- I must admit that neps fast became my favorite cps. They are beautiful even without pitchers, but I really get excited when I can watch a pitcher form and grow to maturity.

cpwitch

Back