What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pitcher sitting in water

hi, i was wondering if it is ok for nepenthes pitcher to sit slitghtly in water? i have a n. rafflesiana.
IMG_1159.jpg

should be ok as long as the water is clear.....

<span style='color:teal'>Hello! As for my experience, there will be no problem...

I have a N. ventricosa and a N. rafflesiana in the pond where i grow my Sarracenia plants. Obviously, i have these 2 Nep's over a block that prevents the plants to be into the water, but the pitchers hang over the water and into the water... and i have never had any problem.

As a matter of fact i have seen that pitchers that develope with their bases into the water are bigger than those that hang over the water surface. It seems that the very, very high humidity helps them to grow to bigger sizes.</span>

You can put a strand of LFM under the pitcher if you are worried
smile.gif

I grow my sanguinea on my windowsill here in Atlanta that sits in "standing" water. What I do is top water my plant, and let a very shallow saucer under it fill with water. Its no more than 1/4" deep. I think it helps keep the LFS moist but mostly keeps the humidity in the near proximity of the plant up. I've only been growing it for a month, but I've gotten three new pitchers so I guess it works.

Back