What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please sign this!!!

The proposed banning of pet sales in the city of San Fransisco has potential to spill to other cities and states. As responsible keepers we know and understand the unfair impact this move can generate to the whole pet nation which is not an option!!! Please sign this and at least be a part of an educated front towards the understanding and cooperation regarding serious issues. Time is ticking away they are meeting too soon act now! Even if you are only a fish lover (fishes are off the ban so far) support your folks :)
It may just be reptiles,birds, n critters but it affects every one as a whole! IF it does pass = legislative failure :(
http://usark.org/campaign.php?id=20
And here's the other side http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/07/san_francisco_proposes_pet_ban.php

Last edited:
I wont sign anything without being well educated on the issue..
Whats the other side of the story?
can someone post a link to the city's position?

thanks,
Scot

Ah, the politician's mind! Such a maze of insight and wisdom! If only the entrance to it wasn't just below their tailbone!
Here is another over-reaction and off target response to one of life's problems.

I am wondering however, in all fairness, what exactly is the reason for their action/desire to do this. Without doing a search for it, I didn't see the reason behind their wanting to do this. What do they hope to solve by it? I am not sure I understand their motivation.

Ah, the politician's mind! Such a maze of insight and wisdom! If only the entrance to it wasn't just below their tailbone!
Here is another over-reaction and off target response to one of life's problems.

I am wondering however, in all fairness, what exactly is the reason for their action/desire to do this. Without doing a search for it, I didn't see the reason behind their wanting to do this. What do they hope to solve by it? I am not sure I understand their motivation.

The power brains that be deems that by banning the sales of birds, critters, and reptiles they will put a dent on the problem of people buying animals with the impulse buy attitude. Thus regulating the amount in shelters and even reducing synthesized events WTF?! yeah it has some merit BUT a total all out ban is clearly not the answer.

maybe drive the city further into debt? that's always a good one...force us to sell the golden gate? do we even own that still?

wow starting to remind me on the ferret ban in cali. I know there was something like this not too long ago, might be the same bill to ban reptiles from being sold across state lines or something. The purpose of that was if i believe was to try and stop people from letting loose their snakes once they got bigger then they thought they would get (i know thats not the whole thing right there) or something along those lines, maybe this is pretty much the same thing?

wow starting to remind me on the ferret ban in cali. I know there was something like this not too long ago, might be the same bill to ban reptiles from being sold across state lines or something. The purpose of that was if i believe was to try and stop people from letting loose their snakes once they got bigger then they thought they would get (i know thats not the whole thing right there) or something along those lines, maybe this is pretty much the same thing?

Perhaps proper licensing and registration can be good options :) just cause there are a few irresponsible heads in the business it never means the whole nation has to pay!

that i do agree with, that ban that i was talking about i think it was HR47 but i might be wrong also affected tropical fish and reptiles non native to the US. makes me sad we can't deal with these things in a better way instead of an all out ban

that i do agree with, that ban that i was talking about i think it was HR47 but i might be wrong also affected tropical fish and reptiles non native to the US. makes me sad we can't deal with these things in a better way instead of an all out ban

right, this is why we must follow the lead of Dr.Lex Luthor in the Super man magazine series :-O and build governments with artists, poets, philosophers, scientists, lawyers, doctors, etc not just our common present day politician, so when issues arise the chief herpetologist Miggie will have a say in congress and it will be honored haha! but seriously i see the perfect government with the implementation of pure talent in all fields :) like WOW!

What a load of BS. Is this law up for a public vote?

Tell people you're taking their dogs and cats (and other pets) away and you'll have a mass exodus or hopefully, riots.

And what is the deal with banning everything except fish? If these people are worried about mass animal abuse, FISH (the only pets allowed) are the most abused & poorly cared for of all animals Goldfish in particular are generally doomed on a monumental scale, - far more than Hamsters this law seems obsessed with. If we're running a death tally you could never stop counting the dead ornamental fish.

As for the hamster dilemma Just get some big snakes for the pet shelters and feed the reeking little things off. Problem solved! :D

However, the kinda pets a lot of us partake in don't come from a pet shop anyway. Though this would screw over any of the few and far between quality reptile and insect shops. Don't know if there are any in SF but there never could be either.

Last edited:
The power brains that be deems that by banning the sales of birds, critters, and reptiles they will put a dent on the problem of people buying animals with the impulse buy attitude. Thus regulating the amount in shelters and even reducing synthesized events WTF?! yeah it has some merit BUT a total all out ban is clearly not the answer.

I totally agree that banning pet sales will NOT help anything. Keeping hermit crabs, I've seen a lot of kids want to get a few on impulse... it's not pet sales that are the problem, but the lack of information when people decide to get certain pets. For example, it's not appropriate to house hermit crabs alone on gravel in a "kritter kage", but most people don't know that when they go out to pet shops. IMO there's no such thing as a care-free pet unless you want a pet rock. Pet shops need to get the proper information about care to their buyers, and the buyers need to follow through and care for them properly. It might scare people away from getting certain pets, but the pets might find better, more prepared owners.

swords said:
However, the kinda pets a lot of us partake in don't come from a pet shop anyway. Though this would screw over any of the few and far between quality reptile and insect shops. Don't know if there are any in SF but there never could be either.

There are a few quality shops around if you look hard enough... :)

swords said:
What a load of BS. Is this law up for a public vote?

I'm not sure. I haven't heard about this until now. :p

Back