What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollinating

Hi guys!

I tried to pollinate the two previous flowers on my P. moranensis, but they haven't given me any seeds, so I guess I'm not doing this right.

The yellow part is the area where there is pollen and the little dome protecting a separate region deeper in the flower is the female part, right? What must I do "exactly"?

I would recommend using the search feature on this forum. Search for, pollination. Be sure you spell it correctly. Search under Butterwort.

And generally the yellow is not the pollen. The pollen is under the stigma flap on the ends of the two curved anthers (like bull horns), under the stigma flap. I use wooden toothpicks with their tips colored black with a Sharpie permanent marker. This helps with a positive observation of the actual pollen during pollen transfer.

Here is link to a rough sketch to show how the Pinguicula flower is designed. If pollen is produced, it is generally released between the top of the ovary and the underside of the stigma flap (often yellow filaments produced by the corolla are mistaken for pollen). For me the easiest way to effect the capture of pollen and transfer it to the desired upper stigma surface is with a wooden toothpick, flat or round. I color the tip of the toothpick black with an indelible marker pen, then it is easiest to see anything on the toothpick tip that is lighter than "black". To capture pollen with a toothpick, I first gently remove most or all of the corolla. While gently holding the stalk below the flower I insert the toothpick under the stigma flap, between the ovary and the stigma flap. If there is any quantity of released pollen often some will be captured by the toothpick. I then gently touch the toothpick with captured pollen on its tip against the upper surface of the receiving stigma, optimally near its center. You can see my hand drawn diagram here:

i-bvRGjH4-XL.jpg

The red spot in the center of the stigma indicates the position of the style (the connection of the stigma to the ovary).

Last edited:
The plant is probably self-sterile...

suite

are you sure it is a P.moranensis ? may be an hybrids

have you a picture to the flower ?

jeff

Back