What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pot size?

Hi guys,

I just have a couple of quick questions:

1. Are these pot sizes okay for my traps?
2. Will I ever have to repot? if so, when and what size pot?

thanks! :)

0426091744.jpg

Those pots should be enough for quite a while, although you will need to replace the media every year or two as is will break down over time. The main size problem you might encounter is having multiple plants in the same pot. Flytraps often self divide their rhizomes in spring, filling up untaken adjacent space. By the time this becomes an issue though, you'll probably already know enough to decide when it's time to upgrade.

Also, just as basic care info, VFTs should be kept outside in direct sunlight, and that watering tray can be filled to the top with distilled, rain, or RO water. Don't ever fertilize them or use any miracle grow potting soils as media.

Oh and: Welcome to Terraforums! We're always happy to help.

Jason

Hi DrWurm,

Thanks for your response! I was wondering though, how long do you mean by "quite a while"? and is there a specific method to repotting? i keep hearing that repotting is a very delicate process so im scared to do it

sorry for all the questions, im still a noob! :)

Hi DrWurm,

Thanks for your response! I was wondering though, how long do you mean by "quite a while"? and is there a specific method to repotting? i keep hearing that repotting is a very delicate process so im scared to do it

sorry for all the questions, im still a noob! :)

Quite a while as in, more than 2 years. repotting is not delicate or difficult at all with VFTs. You just turn the pot over, get everything to slide out, wash off all the old media, and stick it back in some new stuff.

Jason

shall we define repot.
In my opinion repotting cosiists of taking the plant out of the pot, barerooting it and providing with fresh/new media of your choice. .I think this is best done jest prior to the plant coming out of dormancy.
The other form of repotting is called shifting can be done anytime . as this is moving a plant with alli of its present media into a larger pot.

DONT BE AFRAID TO REPOT! They're just plants. I felt the same way the first time I repotted, but have since gotten very comfortable with it, and have not yet lost a plant to repotting. As flytraplady said, do your repotting in the spring - I repot my VFTs and sarracenias every year to change the media, and at that time you can tell if you need a bigger pot by looking at the root system.

I would eventually, like when they are dormant, take the whole "plug", and put it into a tall bucket with drainage holes. The more volume the more stability and room for roots to go deeper.

Back