What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's as many different formulations for Nepenthes soil mixes as there are growers, but I would stick with simple for now. LFS/perlite or something similar (or a live sphagnum mix) should work well. It's true that neps generally don't like to have waterlogged mixes, but they aren't cacti either so make sure the soil isn't something that will dry out completely between waterings.

I re potted them a couple of days ago with a LFS/ perlite/ orchard bark mix. It was pretty heavy in LFS, unfortunately they don't really seem to be picking up. And stranger here are those photos of the roots.
N. Truncata,
IMGP0438_zpsktwb3nv7.jpg

N. lowii x Maxima,
IMGP0439_zpstpmm2ea9.jpg

N. Miranda,
IMGP0440_zpspjp3niqr.jpg

N. Alata,
IMGP0441_zpskybm9w3d.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't the best but i couldn't get the soil of properly.

Nepenthes are plants that operate on months-long timescales. You cannot expect them to perk up right after a repotting, and there may yet be another downhill period as they readapt to the new, better conditions. And those roots look like they could use a boost, rather small systems for all but the truncata (and even that's on the small side).

Definitely dwarfed root systems, even for Nepenthes. You haven't been letting them soak in water all day, have you?

Yeah, those roots don't look good. Given what they were in before I'd say the problem was more the fertiliser than an overwatering issue.

Okay thank you, also SerMuncherIV what do you mean?

I expect he's talking about root rot, which happens if the plant is put in a pot or soil with inadequate drainage. As you might expect from the name, the roots rot and then the plant dies.

oh okay thank you, Im pretty sure the N. alata is pretty much dead but i kind of expected that. Ill say when they start to pick up and Thank you everyone for all the help.

DO NOT give up on the alata, there was green and thereby you have a chance to root it like a cutting.

okay hcarlton how would i go about doing this?

It still has some roots, so don't try to root it like a cutting in water, that will probably kill it. I would treat it like a cutting that I'm trying to root in media. Bury the roots in a sphagnum based mix, keep moist but not wet, keep the temperature warm and humidity high, and you should expect to see some new growth within a month or two if you're lucky. Don't give up on it unless the entire thing turns black and mushy and rots.

Alright i will try that, Thank you.

Looking at those roots, there's a pretty good chance they're toast, so I doubt you need to worry about them. An easy way to check is to remove a small portion of the bark near the base of the plant. If it's white or green inside, the tissue is still alive. If not, cut back until you find live tissue, and root it rom there.

What do you mean toast, and i cant seem to find the green, i think its stuffed.

Last edited:
"Toast" as in dead. If there is no green within the stem, cut back until you find green (or white). If there is none through the whole length of the plant, it's gone...

As a general guide, roots that are healthy and growing have white tips.

Oh okay thanks hcarlton, that's what i thought. I will cut it back and see if i can find some life.

I cut it back and found green about halfway down the stem.

Back