quick easy question

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hey there
smile.gif

My vfts are starting to put up thier flower stalks and I was wondering is there a perfect time to cut them down or should I get to it right now? They are only up maybe a half an inch at the moment.
Hack them down now...right?

G

If you don't want your plant to flower, cut it as soon as you realize it is a flower.

That way you can save the energy for the plant.

( The quick and easy answer :smile: )

Unless you want to cross-pollinate it with another flytrap in flower, ditto to Jaie's answer.
If any of you really want some Dionaea seed to germinate, just look for it online. I got some from the ICPS Seedbank and it germinated readily and the miniscule seedlings are fascinating. Also, some people like to *completely* grow their plants, from the VERY beginning. I'd really rather buy a mature VFT from PFT!
Chris

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
nah they've been chopped down
smile.gif
I am not into VFT seeds #### its easier to just buy them here and save myself some stress
smile.gif

trashcan

O:-)
I have a flytrap seedling and I love it... But I wouldn't even begin to try and germinate them myself- I've heard nothing but horror stories.
smile.gif

Pat

My experience with germinating them isn't even a romantic comedy!
smile.gif

They only took a couple weeks to sprout, but they're very slow growing. Not all of them sprouted, but I was afraid none would!
My setup:
I used a 15 cm full-size pot with some sphagnum covering the drainage holes in the bottom, the main mix was about a 60:40 peat/sand with a small amount of charcoal added (I'm a charcoal freak), and topped with some very finely chopped long fiber sphagnum. I kept them at about 75F and 100% humidity until they started to sprout. Unfortunately, they'll take an unbearably long time to reach the sort of maturity you'd see in a PFT VFT.
Chris