What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question =)

• Thread starter myke66
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
will too much light kill a VFT? I have set up a terrirum with a shoplight hanging over it with 2 cool white 30watt bulbs. IF i were to leave them on over night and durning the day, would it hurt the VFT, or help it with alot of light, thanks!

I wouldn't leave the lights on 24/7, give them time to rest. I would say 9 hours a day is the most you's want to give them.

oh, everything i've read has said 10-14 hours a day

An easy solution is to buy a timer, which you can find at hardware stores for between $6 and $20. You'll eventually save money on electricity. I'm not sure if it would harm them, but chances are it either: 1. Would harm them. or 2. Wouldn't help them. Either way, I'd rather save the electricity and not risk it.

14 hours of light seems to be typical. Even in nature they get more than 9 hours. The earth is round, we have 24 hour days, so on average they get about 12 hours of sunlight (yeah I know it varies, I'm simplifying).

My lights are on timers and set on a 14 hour light cycle.

I think plants need a rest but there's a possible experiment for the adventurous.
smile.gif
A plant lighted for 9 hrs, another for 14 hrs and another for 24/7. Would be interesting to see the results.
smile.gif
Anyone in school needing a science project??

Yay for the shop light!
smile.gif

Suzanne

Remember, VFTs need a period of winter dormancy. Plants growing indoors under warm temperature and long photoperiod for a year or longer will not do very well in the long run.

Back