What's new

Rare White Dolphin Extinct

horray... now my day is even more depressing.

down.gif

joossa

Aklys
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even in the expedition's final days, members believed they would find a specimen, trolling a "hotspot" below the industrial city of Wuhan where Baiji were previously sighted, Pfluger said.

"Hope dies last," he said.
sad.gif
cry.gif

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Tss is not like the extinction of the baiji was unexpected. The last search for the animal, in 1997, yielded 13 sightings.

And with the Three Gorges Dam ...

That animal is very beautiful. I think it's call is so gorgeous and peaceful. What a shame the governments of the world treat the animals and people so horribly. I am very sad and angry about this. Thank you for posting about this beautiful creature.

glider14

Always a newbie
...i did a project on this in 4th grade.... it was on an endangered animal and i chose the chinese river dolphin aka baiji. i was the only kid in the class to get an A+!! this is so sad to see a beautiful creature like this gone..... never to be seen again.
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Alex

PS. what does it mean to be functionally extinct?

PS. what does it mean to be functionally extinct?
means even if there are a few left its not going to matter as there wont be enough genetic diversity left to actually keep the species going for long.............kinda like the last passenger pigeon or thylacine in captivity

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I believe so, yes.

I think they called it the tasmanian tiger,too. Was it supposed to be a dog or a cat or something like a hyena that's a little in between? I mean I know it was a marsupial and all. Weird.

That is very sad...Hate to see anything go like that.

Just makes me wonder if anyone is going to try cloning it. This is the only thing that always pops up in my mind (after the the fact of it being sad) when some thing goes extinct.

Horrible news.

Sad yes, but surprising? Not at all. We (as a general whole) don't give a *bleep* about our environment and the beautiful creatures that were here way before we were.

I think one of the main reasons I love posting here and talking to you guys is that most of you are avid nature enthusiasts and support preservation. I can't say the same for a good deal of people I know in the "outside" world.