What's new

Reboot: Starting anew with some of my old plants

thez_yo

instigator
Oh wow! Nice going :-D !!!!

What's under the live most on the bottom, again? I'm afraid to do planted because of drainage reasons.

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Oh wow! Nice going :-D !!!!

What's under the live most on the bottom, again? I'm afraid to do planted because of drainage reasons.

Thanks Zu. The tanks are not planted. They have a false bottom made of egg crate. The pots are placed on top of that. The moss from each pot kind of blends in after a while and gives a nice carpeted appearance. :) I would never do a planted tank... I did it once and it was way too much trouble. It is much for manageable to do these as they are easier to clean...easy to remove problematic candidates/plants.

vraev

Admin

I just did a major cleanup of the main tanks just a couple weeks ago. I am currently working on implementing a cooling setup. Stay tuned for updates in the next few weeks.

33007195244_5840f6ddcc_b.jpg

I just did a major cleanup of the main tanks just a couple weeks ago. I am currently working on implementing a cooling setup. Stay tuned for updates in the next few weeks.

33007195244_5840f6ddcc_b.jpg

That's awesome! Please let us know how that cooling system works for you! What HP is that chiller?

vraev

Admin
I came back from my vacation to see some nice rare flowers and new pitchers.

Heliamphora purpurascens. I love the nectar spoon on this Heli. It is incredible. Look at the spoon on the newest pitcher. It is almost as big as the pitcher opening.
36117897354_0749f0ab5c_h.jpg

Bulbophyllum pecten-veneris
36812376311_dd27ec2f9f_h.jpg

True blue flowers are apparently super rare in orchid species. This was the most expensive orchid I ever bought. Finally my first flower on Dendrobium parvulum

36117469734_9a7f9f2533_h.jpg
36555784060_5b77277dcf_h.jpg

Another absolutely incredible ultra highland orchid species. First flower ever on Fernandezia subbiflora
36555779420_acb35e46ec_h.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome plants! I wish to someday have a collection as great as your current one. Do you have any drosera or pings?

Last edited:

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Well done!

True blue flowers are indeed rare amongst orchids... but then that can be said for flowering plants across the board. There are some terrestrial Australian orchids which are truly blue, as I recall.

vraev

Admin
Well done!

True blue flowers are indeed rare amongst orchids... but then that can be said for flowering plants across the board. There are some terrestrial Australian orchids which are truly blue, as I recall.

Thanks. Yea. The Aussie orchids are just amazing. Definitely hard to obtain/source them.

DUDE! THAT DENDROBIUM! I've been looking everywhere for that sucker. one of the must have from that complex. lucky you! wish you the best with it!

vraev

Admin
DUDE! THAT DENDROBIUM! I've been looking everywhere for that sucker. one of the must have from that complex. lucky you! wish you the best with it!

Thanks bud. :) It is still hard to get, but can be obtained from Ecuagenera whenever they come over for an orchid show. You just have to keep a lookout at their availability list. :)