What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting mature flytrap in June?

• Thread starter Tilkifox
  • Start date
Hi,
I have just bought my very first vft 😃
I have sarrs and neps but never had a vft!!
As you can see from the photo, it's a fair size (12cm pot) with lovely looking traps but I'm worried about the sketchy looking substrate (and would love to put it in a nice fancy pot)!

Is it bad to repot at this time of year (June) and how do you repot without setting off/damaging the traps?

Another quick question, I've read conflicting reports about feeding them. Some have said if you don't feed them insects (or they don't catch enough) they will die... is this true??

Sorry if the questions are a bit silly but I would hate to kill it by doing something stupid 😔

It's being kept on a south facing conservatory window ledge with humidity between 30% - 70% by a door thats open when it's warm enough (I'm in the UK)...

Thanks in advance 😃

Attachments

• 20210608_201140.jpg
    20210608_201140.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210605_172036.jpg
    20210605_172036.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 6
Hello!
I would guess the media is fine with the way the plant looks. If you want to transplant for peace of mind and the fancy pot, go for it! Chances are you will trigger some of the traps. But they'll reopen within a few days. I've never compared freshly transplanted plant to an established plant this time of year, but I absolutely transplant things all year long. No, they won't die if you don't feed them/they don't eat. They are plants and still gather the majority of their energy from the sun. Consider it eating bugs like fertilizer, it'll be fine without it but it may make it a little happier. Definitely not mandatory. :)
Andrew

Hello!
I would guess the media is fine with the way the plant looks. If you want to transplant for peace of mind and the fancy pot, go for it! Chances are you will trigger some of the traps. But they'll reopen within a few days. I've never compared freshly transplanted plant to an established plant this time of year, but I absolutely transplant things all year long. No, they won't die if you don't feed them/they don't eat. They are plants and still gather the majority of their energy from the sun. Consider it eating bugs like fertilizer, it'll be fine without it but it may make it a little happier. Definitely not mandatory. :)
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the reassurance!
I've reported the sarrs and the neps without issues but the vft looks far more fragile!
I'm always wary of substrate from garden centres but you're right, it looks really healthy so maybe everything is good with it...
Now to find that fancy pot... 😃

You are almost bound to get some setback, the plant looks fine and isn't too overcrowded. You could wait till dormancy to get the max out of the plant this year.
Cheers
Steve

You are almost bound to get some setback, the plant looks fine and isn't too overcrowded. You could wait till dormancy to get the max out of the plant this year.
Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,
I'd been thinking about that last night and I think you're right... As Andrew said, it's obviously happy in the substrate so repotting would only be for cosmetic reasons... not really fair on the plant...

Yep, I saw the CPUK post too, it is the best option.
Cheers
Steve

Back