What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!


Hello all, Well today I uncovered that I have rootworms on one of my S. Leucophylla rhizomes. The rhizome was given to me about 4 months ago. The plant was dormant and seemed fine but I have noticed that its been drying up. Today I uncovered the plant and saw that the rhizome was "mushy". I rip the rhizome apart and saw that rootworms were feasting on my plant!
In my 5 years of experience with CP's I have never had this before. What should I do now? All my plants seem to be fine. They are putting flower and pitchers all together but now I am concerned if the plant got rootworms from me or the grower?

Does anyone have any advise of what I should do?

I don't have experience with rootworm, so this is a somewhat generic response, but here's what I'd do:

A) Research so you can make sure that what I advise isn't idiotic.
B) Toss the media that had the rootworms. Similarly, take out all of the other plants that were in there.
C) Remove all of the mushy parts of the rhizome, and check all of the plants for wormies.
D) Here it looks like you have the choice of a pesticide or a physical treatment. Since I generally don't like to work with fertilizers, and since Sarrs are pretty tough, I'd leave the plants in a bucket of water for a minimum of a few days (give 'em a swish every now and then to make sure that there're no air pockets that worms can survive in) and drown 'em out.

Ah, an additional note
I rip the rhizome apart and saw that rootworms were feasting on my plant!

I'd advise avoiding too much ripping. Let the water flood the rhizomes and hopefully drown out all of the worms. The plants are already stressed from the worms, and I doubt that pulling them apart will help that. Further, stressed plants are good homes for pathogens, and opening up your rhizome is one way to help pathogens get in.
Thank you Est. Well as for the plant I threw it away. It wasn't a big rhizome so the whole rhizome was mushy. But I do have another Sarracenia in the same pot so it makes logical sense to remove the soil and add new soil to it. However I am going to do some reserach and see how rootworms transfer from one place to another. Reason why is because on the tray I have about 15 Sarracenias all drinking from the same water. And on the table, I have about 100+ CP's and don't want any infestations on all my plants. Ill see what I find and post it here just in case someone encounters the same problem. Again, Thank you Est.